Questions About Sterile Empty Vials

boofingit

New_Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about sterile vials used as a receptacle for peptide filtering:

1. Are new sterile vials expected to have a vacuum?

2. Everyone always links to the Ks-Tek ones on Amazon when suggesting sterile vials. Any testimony on these as far as true sterility? I'm new to all of this and feel that Amazon isn't the right place to purchase sterile medical equipment but that could be completely unfounded. They almost look packaged better than the next option...

3. Other sellers, like diabetes suppliers (westend, mountainside, etc) also offer vials. However I've found that when not sold by the bulk case, they are sold as single vials not packaged with an expiration date or anything, sometimes not even with a plastic cap, just a loose vial wrapped in bubble wrap. I assume this is because they are sold out of a larger (50/100ct) pack. - Would you trust this over the amazon ones?

Thanks for any opinions/info.

I have a few questions about sterile vials used as a receptacle for peptide filtering:

2. Everyone always links to the Ks-Tek ones on Amazon when suggesting sterile vials. Any testimony on these as far as true sterility? I'm new to all of this and feel that Amazon isn't the right place to purchase sterile medical equipment but that could be completely unfounded. They almost look packaged better than the next option...

3. Other sellers, like diabetes suppliers (westend, mountainside, etc) also offer vials. However I've found that when not sold by the bulk case, they are sold as single vials not packaged with an expiration date or anything, sometimes not even with a plastic cap, just a loose vial wrapped in bubble wrap. I assume this is because they are sold out of a larger (50/100ct) pack. - Would you trust this over the amazon ones?

I've bought some on Amazon but have not used them. I'm leery of amazon too. I remember coming across a post where someone posted dirt/paper in their "sterile" vial purchased off of Amazon. I really don't know how you would test for it.

This site sells them. They sell other medical supplies. It doesn't look like the vials are individually wrapped but there is language of certification that they are sterile. Still throwing them in a box seems like that would make them not sterile unless they are sealed extremely tightly idk.
Code:
https://www.farrislabs.com

This site sells them. They sell other medical supplies. It doesn't look like the vials are individually wrapped but there is language of certification that they are sterile. Still throwing them in a box seems like that would make them not sterile unless they are sealed extremely tightly idk.
Code:
If they are sold as sealed vials, they will have a stopper and a crimp, I don't think that would come off super easily. Just like the stopper and crimps don't fall off on your vials shipped with peps in them. I doubt they are thrown in loosely in a box, they will have at least some sort of packaging material in there. If it's a concern, you could always email them and ask how they handle shipping on boxes of less than 100.

If they are sold as sealed vials, they will have a stopper and a crimp, I don't think that would come off super easily. Just like the stopper and crimps don't fall off on your vials shipped with peps in them. I doubt they are thrown in loosely in a box, they will have at least some sort of packaging material in there. If it's a concern, you could always email them and ask how they handle shipping on boxes of less than 100.
I mean on that labs website the vials are not individually wrapped but all placed in one box and then sealed.
Screenshot 2024-10-11 175320.png

I bought the Amazon ones, they are individually sterile packed…now the process they used for that sterile packaging is I guess is a risk, but they seem sterile packed to me and I used to work in the OR environment, so they look right, but they do have a particularly long stopper in them.
I haven’t used them yet, but I will see tomorrow… I am also, like you, looking for other options…hope that helps a little !

Last edited:
I mean on that labs website the vials are not individually wrapped but all placed in one box and then sealed. View attachment 2713
The shrink wrap isn't the "seal." It's just an added protective layer in place for storage and transport. I believe the shrink wrap we see in this pic is added after the sterilization process. The only way to know for certain is to ask them about their process though.

I like Vitorinca vials. They are sold on Amazon but ship from the manufacturer. Sterile, different mL sizes, and the stopper is self healing but softer so it doesn't blunt the syringe as those hard stoppers do.

I like Vitorinca vials. They are sold on Amazon but ship from the manufacturer. Sterile, different mL sizes, and the stopper is self healing but softer so it doesn't blunt the syringe as those hard stoppers do.
I know the reviews could be BS, but people saying they leaked is why I didn’t go with these..thoughts? Was it user error that they did not know what they are doing? They are typically the loudest unfortunately…

I know the reviews could be BS, but people saying they leaked is why I didn’t go with these..thoughts? Was it user error that they did not know what they are doing? They are typically the loudest unfortunately…
They were highly recommended to me by a seasoned pep user on another site, someone trustworthy. I've used two so far, 3mL and 5mL and no problems at all. I mean I'm not throwing them around. I used one for a reconstituted blend, and it goes in the fridge, and comes out, and is pierced, and returned to the fridge. But definitely I'm finding the needles don't blunt the way they do with Ks-Tek or any of the vials with their hard stoppers that I've had from compound pharmacies or other vendors. I've actually transferred reconned peps into these vials because of the terrible hard as rock stoppers that have resisted being pierced by a Luer lock syringes and needle.

They were highly recommended to me by a seasoned pep user on another site, someone trustworthy. I've used two so far, 3mL and 5mL and no problems at all. I mean I'm not throwing them around. I used one for a reconstituted blend, and it goes in the fridge, and comes out, and is pierced, and returned to the fridge. But definitely I'm finding the needles don't blunt the way they do with Ks-Tek or any of the vials with their hard stoppers that I've had from compound pharmacies or other vendors. I've actually transferred reconned peps into these vials because of the terrible hard as rock stoppers that have resisted being pierced by a Luer lock syringes and needle.
Awesome! Thank you so much for this feedback! I will definitely get some then, cause the stoppers are what was worrisome on the Ks-Tek ones I have and I figured the reviews on Victronica could possibly be totally not accurate. The loudest people are often the wrong ones, I always need to be reminded of that! 😊

Awesome! Thank you so much for this feedback! I will definitely get some then, cause the stoppers are what was worrisome on the Ks-Tek ones I have and I figured the reviews on Victronica could possibly be totally not accurate. The loudest people are often the wrong ones, I always need to be reminded of that! 😊
I like them, plus the different sizes come with different flip off cap colors - so ultimately useless - but pretty!

Here are the Ks-Tek.

All they say about sterilization in the listing is "Steam sterilization: 121°C 20min. Individual package. Sterilization indicator bag shows completion of sterilization"

I don't know what they mean by "Sterilization indicator bag shows completion of sterilization" ... Not sure what they are talking about there. Seems a little weird.

Packaging is very nice, but that's easy to accomplish regardless of the actual product quality.

1000000590.jpg

1000000585.jpg
1000000588.jpg

Last edited:
And here are the "Westend" med supply 2ml vials, each vial is shipped in a bubble zip pouch. Definitely not as good of a presentation but it's obviously split out of a bulk case. I'm sure it's fine.

Here are the details from the site:
  • USP tested for sterility and endotoxins
  • Type I Glass USP Borosilicate
  • cGMP FDA manufacturer
  • Latex free Chlorobutyl stopper
  • Aseptically assembled in an ISO 5 (class 100) cleanroom
  • Assembled, Sterilized, and Tested in the USA

1000000594.jpg

1000000593.jpg
1000000592.jpg

Last edited:
I bought those Ks-Tek vials and I’m liking the packaging. That said, I’m going to run them through my Instant Pot and EV sterilizer. Well see.

Those came from Amazon?

Yep. Probably the top listing you'll find on there for sterile vials.
I bought those Ks-Tek vials and I’m liking the packaging. That said, I’m going to run them through my Instant Pot and EV sterilizer. Well see.
Heating them doesn't make them explode or anything? Does the pressure in the instant pot help prevent that?

---

Here's my take on the two after closer inspection: Packaging aside, the westend ones I think are definitely more legit looking. The crimp is far more consistent, uniform, and "smooth" if that makes any sense and it doesn't have the weird super deep stopper.

I realize the packaging is very nice on the Ks-Tek, but in reality it costs a LOT LESS money and effort to manufacture nice looking packaging than it is to actually produce a sterile product.

After holding both in my hands and looking with the naked eye, I think I'll be trusting the ones that come from the medical supply. I know it seems weird given the difference in packaging, they just look more quality built and the fact it's coming from a reputable medical supply company and they claim they are "Aseptically assembled in an ISO 5 (class 100) cleanroom" and "USP tested for sterility", and "Assembled, Sterilized, and Tested in the USA" -- I think I'll be going with these.

For anyone reading this, scroll back up, I edited the posts above where I shared the pictures by adding some details from the product listings.

I'm sure both are perfectly fine. Just my take after taking a good look at em.

Last edited:
I've bought some on Amazon but have not used them. I'm leery of amazon too. I remember coming across a post where someone posted dirt/paper in their "sterile" vial purchased off of Amazon. I really don't know how you would test for it.

Code:
Some of them are evacuated (vacuum). They are not individually packaged indeed, but to me is fine.

It's the inside of the vial that is considered sterile, not the outside and it should be cleaned anyway.

The minute you touch something sterile, even if you take good care, it won't be sterile anymore.

Ensure that you clean the vial right before you fill it and use it and you should be fine.

This is how they come btw, the box held 25 in total, so when full they were not loose.

Attachments

• IMG_20241012_024621873_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241012_024621873_HDR.jpg
    825.2 KB · Views: 13
Yep. Probably the top listing you'll find on there for sterile vials.

Heating them doesn't make them explode or anything? Does the pressure in the instant pot help prevent that?

---

Here's my take on the two after closer inspection: Packaging aside, the westend ones I think are definitely more legit looking. The crimp is far more consistent, uniform, and "smooth" if that makes any sense and it doesn't have the weird super deep stopper.

I realize the packaging is very nice on the Ks-Tek, but in reality it costs a LOT LESS money and effort to manufacture nice looking packaging than it is to actually produce a sterile product.

After holding both in my hands and looking with the naked eye, I think I'll be trusting the ones that come from the medical supply. I know it seems weird given the difference in packaging, they just look more quality built and the fact it's coming from a reputable medical supply company and they claim they are "Aseptically assembled in an ISO 5 (class 100) cleanroom" and "USP tested for sterility", and "Assembled, Sterilized, and Tested in the USA" -- I think I'll be going with these.

For anyone reading this, scroll back up, I edited the posts above where I shared the pictures by adding some details from the product listings.

I'm sure both are perfectly fine. Just my take after taking a good look at em.
Good Morning. I run my injector pen cartridges through this process and have not had any issues yet. They have a vacuum seal too.

Back