Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here uses an ultrasonic cleaner. The good ones are relatively cheap ($40-$150), but smaller ones intended for glasses and jewelry can be found for as little as $20. They are often used to sterilize medical equipment and lab tools.

Experiences? Thoughts?

I read something that said with the appropriate solution they can be used as sterilization devices. Will try to find it
You could add a chemical disinfectant or a sterilization solution, but if you're gonna be doing vials or carts, the stoppers will likely degrade at some level in the amount of time they are needed to sit in the solution. Then theres the concern of removing any chemical residue while keeping them sterile. Chemical sterilization is also not as effective as heat or steam sterilization as certain pathogens can be resistant to the chemicals. You would be better off using a pressure pot, but even those have their limitations.

You could add a chemical disinfectant or a sterilization solution, but if you're gonna be doing vials or carts, the stoppers will likely degrade at some level in the amount of time they are needed to sit in the solution. Then theres the concern of removing any chemical residue while keeping them sterile. Chemical sterilization is also not as effective as heat or steam sterilization as certain pathogens can be resistant to the chemicals. You would be better off using a pressure pot, but even those have their limitations.

That's really good to know. I hadn't thought about the impact to the rubber stopper over time. I have an instant pot capable of steam sterilization but wondered if this was a better option. Seems like I should probably stick with my steamer.

Back