Weight loss goals and dealing with family

dogmom

New_Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how people deal with this.

I've lost a ton of weight over the years. Height 5'6". Highest was about 330 to 340lbs 10+ years ago. I had weight loss surgery in 2011. Got down to 175lbs, then started gaining back up to about 230lbs gradually over a period of several years. Started GLPs at about 230. I'm now 155lbs almost 2 years later. It has actually taken me a long time to lose even with GLPs so no it wasn't sudden or drastic. I lost about 40lbs the first year and I'm on track to lose about 40lbs this year. I still want to lose another 20lbs ideally.

My family is acting weird saying they think I'm too small and "tiny" and don't need to lose any more weight. They are acting like I'm an0rex1c which is the furthest thing from the truth, I like eating and eat 2 to 3 times a day. Also, Very frustrating because I'm definitely not tiny or small. I wear a size large and 12/14. If I was to have regain I'd be right back up to XL/size 16/18 in no time. I would like to be in a size 4 to 6 range and that is my goal no matter what the lbs say on the scale.

I've stopped talking about weight loss to my family because I'm afraid their pressure might interfere with my goals. I'm wondering how other people are handling it?

Last edited:
This is quite common. The best way to handle it is to not handle it.

• "I'm not discussing this anymore."
  • "My body size is none of your business."
  • "My doctor is happy with my weight."
  • "This is not a topic for discussion, I am leaving/hanging up."

Then do it.

(BTW, this forum is not censored. You may say anorexic and suicide and all those other "forbidden" words.)

you'll have a bunch on this forum in the same boat as you telling you you're losing weight too fast or too much or they don't like the way you're going about it. blah blah blah

you're not eating enough protein
you're not getting enough electrolytes
you're not drinking enough water
you're doing something different than we do
you're trying too many things
you're insane
you're an asshole and should be booted off the forum
we don't like your car
we don't like your face
we don't like your cat

and it all really gets to me so so much.

you'll have a bunch on this forum in the same boat as you telling you you're losing weight too fast or too much or they don't like the way you're going about it. blah blah blah

you're insane
we don't like your car
we don't like your face
we don't like your cat

That profile pic is boss! I never saw anyone criticize it. They don't have the balls! I wish I had a 79 Firebird and a Tabby!

I just look around and notice that most people who say the same thing are grossly overweight, so I guess it's a coping thing. I would ignore them. If they require a response I would tell them my current body fat percentage that my trainer took recently - about 25%. Do they think it should be  higer than that? Maybe if I get to 15% I can just maintain, but until that point they are just wrong.

If you want to do a body fat percentage, calipers are cheap and youtube can guide you.

This weekend I saw someone who hasn’t seen me and my weight loss. She commended me at first but then said I was getting too thin. My reply was that I’m still 5-10 pounds from a normal BMI. So I’m still considered overweight. She didn’t have anything to say after that.

This is quite common. The best way to handle it is to not handle it.

• "I'm not discussing this anymore."
  • "My body size is none of your business."
  • "My doctor is happy with my weight."
  • "This is not a topic for discussion, I am leaving/hanging up."

Then do it.

(BTW, this forum is not censored. You may say anorexic and suicide and all those other "forbidden" words.)
The only reason I censored that word is because I didn't want actual anorexics googling and this forum coming up. But I get that they might anyway.

I think a lot of it is they’re just not used to seeing the new “skinny” you. But short of telling them to take a long walk of a short pier, tell them your doctor knows best so you’ll follow their advice.

I think a lot of it is they’re just not used to seeing the new “skinny” you. But short of telling them to take a long walk of a short pier, tell them your doctor knows best so you’ll follow their advice.
This is true. And, I feel I was always the fat one that made them feel thin. Being thinner than them now makes them uncomfortable.😂

you're insane
we don't like your car
we don't like your face
we don't like your cat

"Don't like my clothes? (hey)
They're for me! (there)
You don't have to wear 'em (is)
Just let me be (a)
Don't like my walk (man)
That's my feet (on)
They aren't for wearing (the)
Just let me be (sun)

~The Idles Chant

Trending content

Latest posts

Forum statistics