Eli Lilly Sues Peptide Vendor

Reaction score

Oct 21 (Reuters) - Eli Lilly (LLY.N), opens new tab said on Monday it sued three medical spas and online vendors for selling products claiming to contain tirzepatide, the main ingredient in its popular weight-loss medicine Zepbound, including in the form of dissolvable tablets.
The new lawsuits, which name Pivotal Peptides, MangoRx and Genesis Lifestyle Medicine of Nevada, are the first related to copycat tirzepatide filed since the U.S. Food and Drug Administration took the drug off its list of medicines in short supply earlier this month.

I'm shocked...... Now that the FDA called BS on their "no shortage" claim, they are going to find the low hanging fruit to bully out of business

Lilly said Genesis was claiming to sell compounded tirzepatide with vitamin B12, and that such combinations are "untested, unproven, and expose consumers to an unjustifiable risk of harm."

Think it's pretty justified why people turn to this...

I wonder if the intention is to stop them from selling tirzepatide products and no other change, which would lead to more people using sema or other compounds like Reta/maz/serv I would guess. Unfortunate that the story draws attention to research chemicals at all

It's not unexpected, I was honestly expecting to see this sooner.

I guess the morale of the story is that it's risky to pick money out of big pharma's pockets with a registered LLC ;)

Or maybe it's to not be a complete idiot?

Looks like until very recently they had an Instagram page.
Grey market vendors should NOT be on Instagram.

Screenshot_20241021-155503.png

Last edited:
Interesting.

I’d love to see the peptide companies marketing materials.

My understanding is that as long as no reference or inducement of use by humans is made or related, selling non controlled substance research peptides is not regulated, nor illegal.

Of course, it’s all about a big company bullying a small retailer to try and scare away others. Legality and/or patent protection will likely never be litigated.

Last edited:
Interesting.

I’d love to see the peptide companies marketing materials.

My understanding is that as long as no reference or inducement of use by humans is made or related, selling non controlled substance research peptides is not regulated, nor illegal.

Of course, it’s all about a big company setting an example against a small retailer to try and scare away others. Legality will likely never be legislated.
Vague language isn't really going to save you if the intention is more or less clear. This isn't an episode of suits.

And, people tend to forget - a gazillion dollar company is in no way shape or form barred from suing you just for the hell of it. You still have to defend yourself from an army of lawyers, that alone is enough to bankrupt the average clinic or peptide shop :)

This is why I have a ton of stock in my freezer. EL can sue right and left but with the years worth of stuff, I can sleep better.

Vague language isn't really going to save you if the intention is more or less clear. This isn't an episode of suits.

And, people tend to forget - a gazillion dollar company is in no way shape or form barred from suing you just for the hell of it. You still have to defend yourself from an army of lawyers, that alone is enough to bankrupt the average clinic or peptide shop :)
Completely agree. But I’m curious what was there.

Was it a simple listing of peptides, prices and checkout, nothing else, except possibly a referenced test report?

There’s a ton of them on Google shopping. None of them got sued, notably. (Yet?)

Or was it one of the multitude that can’t help but add a bit of “wink wink” marketing spin?

That’s just playing with fire…

Was it a simple listing of peptides, prices and checkout, nothing else, except possibly a referenced test report?

There’s a ton of them on Google shopping. None of them got, notably. (Yet?)

Or was it one of the multitude that can’t help but add a bit of “wink wink” marketing spin?

I think the fact that the Instagram page mentioned B12 is a hint. That's also what they're suing the compounder for - offering Tirz with a bit of B12 mixed in.

There’s a ton of them on Google shopping. None of them got, notably. (Yet?)

I would expect that they are going after them for patent infringement? It seems to be the more solid case to me since it's rather clear cut.

I think there is a ton of small vendors and hobby vendors that have jumped on the gold rush without properly considering that they are opening themselves up to lawsuits.

Most of those will probably fold quite quickly from a couple angry letters and threats.

Or maybe it's to not be a complete idiot?

Looks like until very recently they had an Instagram page.
Grey market vendors should NOT be on Instagram.

View attachment 3025

Sorry but this company is dumb. Advertising on Instagram and ignored a C&D. Unsound the alarm. I think we're still safe for now.

Screenshot_20241021-164500.png
Screenshot_20241021-165258.png

Last edited:
ChatGPT is amazing!

Here’s what was returned when asked about relevant case law.

There have been several cases where companies selling research peptides or chemicals have been involved in patent infringement lawsuits. Below are examples of notable cases where companies faced legal action related to patent infringement in the context of research chemicals or peptides:

1. Amgen Inc. v. Hospira, Inc. (Fed. Cir. 2019)

This case involved a dispute over the manufacturing of biosimilar drugs (not exactly research peptides, but closely related biologics). Hospira was making biosimilar versions of Amgen’s patented erythropoietin (Epogen®), and Amgen argued that Hospira’s use of its manufacturing processes constituted patent infringement. Hospira claimed its production was for research purposes to prepare for FDA approval under the safe harbor of 35 U.S.C. § 271(e)(1) (the Bolar exemption), but the court ruled in favor of Amgen for certain batches, stating that manufacturing exceeded the research exemption.

Relevance to Research Peptides: The Bolar exemption allows for some research uses but does not shield companies that engage in commercial-scale manufacturing, even if the label is for “research.”

2. Momenta Pharmaceuticals, Inc. v. Amphastar Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Fed. Cir. 2012)

This case concerned the sale and use of a patented method to test generic versions of the anticoagulant enoxaparin (Lovenox®). Momenta held patents on the methods of testing enoxaparin for FDA approval, and Amphastar used similar methods during production. Amphastar argued that their use fell under the safe harbor provision, but initially, Momenta secured an injunction. Later, this ruling was reversed when the Federal Circuit found that Amphastar’s testing for FDA approval fell within the Bolar exemption.

Relevance to Research Peptides: This case demonstrates the fine line between research for FDA approval and commercial use. If a company is using patented processes or compounds for anything beyond strictly research and approval purposes, it may still face infringement claims.

3. Sandoz Inc. v. Amgen Inc. (Supreme Court, 2017)

Although not directly about peptides, this case dealt with biosimilars and patent rights. Sandoz was trying to introduce a biosimilar for Amgen’s Neupogen®. Amgen argued that Sandoz violated patent law by not providing proper notice under the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act (BPCIA). The Supreme Court ruled partially in Sandoz’s favor, clarifying certain rules about when biosimilar manufacturers can launch products.

Relevance to Research Peptides: This case illustrates the complexities surrounding biologic products and patent law, especially when involving potential “research” exemptions or safe harbors.

4. Allergan, Inc. v. Sandoz, Inc. (Fed. Cir. 2012)

In this case, Allergan sued Sandoz over the development of a generic version of its glaucoma drug, Lumigan®. The case revolved around Sandoz’s attempts to develop and test a generic drug that allegedly used Allergan’s patented method. Sandoz’s defense was based on the “safe harbor” provision, but the court found that some of their activities exceeded the scope of the exemption.

Lessons from Case Law:

• Research Exemptions Are Narrow: Courts have typically found that research exemptions (like the Bolar exemption in the U.S.) apply only to activities directly related to obtaining regulatory approval, such as FDA testing, and do not apply to general research or commercial production.

• Commercial Activity is Risky: Even labeling a product as “for research use” does not necessarily protect a company from infringement claims if the product is being marketed for uses that overlap with patented methods or substances.

• Defenses to Patent Infringement: Many companies try to argue that their use is exempt under research or experimental use provisions, but if the research is linked to eventual commercial activity, courts have found infringement.

Conclusion:

If a research peptide company is marketing a product like tirzepatide and it overlaps with a patented use or substance, it risks litigation. While research exemptions can apply in some cases, they are very narrowly construed and often don’t protect commercial activities. Given this risk, companies selling research chemicals should exercise caution and seek legal advice to ensure they are not infringing on existing patents.

If you want more details about these cases or others, I can help explore that further!

Back