GLP and extended fasts

skunknuts

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any experience and/or thoughts about fasting while on GLP1s. I used to do extended fasts (3-15 days) and really enjoyed the health and weight benefits. However, since the pandemic I just haven’t felt able to do it for some reason. Started Triz and I feel like I could fast pretty easily now, but wondering about how safe and/ or effective it would be (not talking about anything too crazy and I already do 20/4 or OMAD most days).

I truly believe that the body is smart and preserves muscle during fasts, not to mention all the benefits like autophagy, especially if refeeds are done right, but being on triz modifies an evolutionarily normal event, so don’t want to do anything detrimental. Incidentally, I feel like fasting does something like upregulating GLP receptors, as the hunger killing effect (after the first day or two) feels very similar to being on triz.

I'm a fellow faster (usually have done up to 6 days a few times) and also believe your body preserves muscle pretty well during a fast. That being said, I think you are right that the GLP1s would potentially override the normal feelings we have. I've had a couple of fasts when I felt horrible, and that caused me to abort my fast. I think when I've stopped the fast because I felt bad, that was probably the right decision and it wouldn't be healthy to push through that.

There's some evidence that GLP1s may accelerate the inevitable muscle loss that comes with fat loss, though I'm not sure it's conclusive that this is caused specifically by the medication vs people not getting enough protein.

I used to fast on my last diet pre GLP1’s. I have thought about it since starting but haven’t done it in the last 15 months I have been on meds.

I'm a fellow faster (usually have done up to 6 days a few times) and also believe your body preserves muscle pretty well during a fast. That being said, I think you are right that the GLP1s would potentially override the normal feelings we have. I've had a couple of fasts when I felt horrible, and that caused me to abort my fast. I think when I've stopped the fast because I felt bad, that was probably the right decision and it wouldn't be healthy to push through that.

There's some evidence that GLP1s may accelerate the inevitable muscle loss that comes with fat loss, though I'm not sure it's conclusive that this is caused specifically by the medication vs people not getting enough protein.
I’d like to see the muscle loss on GLP vs. muscle loss of normal low calorie dieting. It’s possible that GLP muscle loss could be minimized by incorporating fasting via its HGH raising effects. Definitely good to listen to your body no matter what. I assume you know to keep your electrolytes and hydration optimized and whatnot, probably even more important since that’s an issue with GLPs alone.

I feel like when you are in a caloric deficit you are always going to lose a little muscle. From my smart scale, I have lost about 8lbs of muscle in the 65 lbs I have lost, but I honestly feel like that 8lbs of muscle was needed to move that much extra weight! I lost faster than I meant to initially and now I prioritize protein, but I think losing some muscle is just par for the course when losing a decent amount of weight. I think fasting and autophagy is fascinating, but I could never really do it longer than 16 hours, so not sure ever got to the benefit part….

I’ve seen “dry fasting” is becoming a thing, don’t know much about it other than no food or water for a set duration.

good discussion. I took a lot of shit here for fasting. It does make me want to keep upping the GLP dose to not be crazy hungry. I was taking something like 4mg cagri over a week's time.
I think a lot of people are scared about the idea of fasting because of this obsession with protein that we have and the idea that as soon as we stop eating our body eats all its muscle for protein. If that were true, as soon as ancient humans ran out of food we would become unable to get more food. On one hand I get it, I eat about 200g protein per day as a weight lifter. But you don't need that much, it's just that you can use that much. Huge difference.

good discussion. I took a lot of shit here for fasting. It does make me want to keep upping the GLP dose to not be crazy hungry. I was taking something like 4mg cagri over a week's time.
I really think that fasting resets the body’s own peptide production/ utilization, but it’s definitely not for everyone l.

I’ve seen “dry fasting” is becoming a thing, don’t know much about it other than no food or water for a set duration.

Pretty hard ‘no’ for me. I guess could be more of a mental challenge, but significantly higher risk/ reward ratio.

Where did people give you shit for fasting? In the threads I've seen, people have only given you shit for injecting a month of peptides in less than a week, then complaining that it wasn't working, and finally switching to another one. 5 months of titration in a couple weeks each time.

We were all supportive for you to go on short fasts, but you said that it was too much hunger to handle.

Back