Harm Reduction - Still Air Box

IGezs

Reaction score
Lately I have seen lots of talk about filtering but one thing I have not seen is discussion of the use of a still air box to reduce chance of contamination during the process. In many discussions and videos they talk about wiping down the area and wearing gloves etc. The reality is the most likely source of contamination is the air while the needle is exposed and going into the vial assuming you follow good technique and don't touch dirty to clean.

Ideally we would work in a laminar flow hood. These can be made or procured for a few hundred $ to couple grand. However we can greatly reduce the likely hood of contamination by using a simple still air box ~$20 to make. Start with a clean room and then setup your still air box. Sanitize your work area and supplies inside the box and then do the reconstitution and filtering inside. The air inside the box has minimal air movement so the chance of contamination is greatly reduced.

This is all standard procedure in the world of mycology. There are lots of resources on contamination reduction strategies in that world. I highly recommend taking the time to google this and watching some videos.

Is it necessary? probably not if you stay within 28 days per vial and your RS is not immune compromised. It all comes down to your risk tolerances. As for me I use my homemade hood in my easy clean closet that I've lined with smooth FRP panels and stainless work table but I have this for my mycology hobby. If I was going to use a vial on my RS for > 28 days I would be using every tool at my disposal to reduce the chance of contamination during the reconstitution process and at each syringe draw but that is my risk tolerance. I bring it up as harm reduction has been a hot topic of late and given all the new researchers I felt it is a relevant topic.

Excellent post!! I considered building a laminar flow hood and went to the mycology sites to understand DIY options. If I were immuno-compromised, I would have built one.

The first time I did my reconstitution at home it felt so wrong 🤣 I used to work in a lab where you always handled vials under a hood. It was so strange not having that glass in front of my face. I always shut down my air system at home when I recon. I also use cavi wipes on my counter then use sterile technique to put a surgical drape over my counter to create a "sterile field". And I make sure I'm home alone so I'm not distracted or interrupted by hubby or our twin velociraptors (19 months old).
I always cringe a bit when people talk about how often they access their BAC water and use it for 90 days. For me, it's not the using it past it's "life", it's how often it's accessed and possibly contaminated. It's so cheap I don't see the benefit in the increases risk. I recon 10-12 weeks of tirz so I only need to access my bac water once so I just toss it after.

The first time I did my reconstitution at home it felt so wrong 🤣 I used to work in a lab where you always handled vials under a hood. It was so strange not having that glass in front of my face. I always shut down my air system at home when I recon. I also use cavi wipes on my counter then use sterile technique to put a surgical drape over my counter to create a "sterile field". And I make sure I'm home alone so I'm not distracted or interrupted by hubby or our twin velociraptors (19 months old).
I always cringe a bit when people talk about how often they access their BAC water and use it for 90 days. For me, it's not the using it past it's "life", it's how often it's accessed and possibly contaminated. It's so cheap I don't see the benefit in the increases risk. I recon 10-12 weeks of tirz so I only need to access my bac water once so I just toss it after.

Where do you store your 10-12 week supply of Tirz?

Where do you store your 10-12 week supply of Tirz?
1000007003.jpg
1000007004.jpg

I got this case from someone on Discord in the Makers Market. Mama Bear 3d prints. She's on etsy as well. These are Excel Comfort Point syringes. They snap in and stay put, but aren't difficult to get out. She's tested several syringe types. I've ordered 3 different custom boxes from her and they shipped super fast and she's so nice! Sorry the photos aren't great. I had to greatly reduce their resolution to post them.

I will note that in the medical world it is absolutely not normal for nurses to use a still air box in this way. I get that hospitals can dispose of product within certain guidelines but it seems like we are all carried away with the idea of potential bacteria in our stuff.

That being said, bacteria getting in via air equalization is probably the only way they are getting in there considering they aren't usually going to live through lyophilization and stay live on a powder surface for days at varying temperatures. Fungus may be a dif story I'm not a fungus guy. So anyway maybe you're on to something with the air system! 😃

I will note that in the medical world it is absolutely not normal for nurses to use a still air box in this way. I get that hospitals can dispose of product within certain guidelines but it seems like we are all carried away with the idea of potential bacteria in our stuff.

That being said, bacteria getting in via air equalization is probably the only way they are getting in there considering they aren't usually going to live through lyophilization and stay live on a powder surface for days at varying temperatures. Fungus may be a dif story I'm not a fungus guy. So anyway maybe you're on to something with the air system! 😃

Having been recently criticized for my lack of concern of sterility of my skin during injection. I should say that concerns are real and legitimate for those who have them.

I ordered two packs of Bactrim from Alldaychemist. It was cheap insurance.

Having been recently criticized for my lack of concern of sterility of my skin during injection. I should say that concerns are real and legitimate for those who have them.

I ordered two packs of Bactrim from Alldaychemist. It was cheap insurance.
There's also the aspect of healthcare where we (healthcare peeps) can see an injection site getting infected, ask the doc and get an antibiotic same day at a pharmacy. Not so easy for our community so you're right, no problem with prevention.

View attachment 2508View attachment 2509
I got this case from someone on Discord in the Makers Market. Mama Bear 3d prints. She's on etsy as well. These are Excel Comfort Point syringes. They snap in and stay put, but aren't difficult to get out. She's tested several syringe types. I've ordered 3 different custom boxes from her and they shipped super fast and she's so nice! Sorry the photos aren't great. I had to greatly reduce their resolution to post them.
I thought it was generally not considered good practice to store medication in syringes because they are not meant for long term storage and aren't air tight (and probably other reasons). Is this just one of those calculated risk things you do for convenience, or are the downsides people always mention when this comes up just overblown?

I thought it was generally not considered good practice to store medication in syringes because they are not meant for long term storage and aren't air tight (and probably other reasons). Is this just one of those calculated risk things you do for convenience, or are the downsides people always mention when this comes up just overblown?
It's a calculated risk. No syringe is FDA approved as a standalone storage container. I keep my syringes in a box in a fridge that doesn't store food. So the risk of mold is lower. I also have a healthy immune system. I'll definitely report back if I experience any ISR as I work my way through the prefilled syringes.

Is Bac water not supposed to be used long term? There is a short shelf life once you start using it?

Damn, I had not seen that mentioned before. Guess I should have bought more than one bottle.

Lately I have seen lots of talk about filtering but one thing I have not seen is discussion of the use of a still air box to reduce chance of contamination during the process. In many discussions and videos they talk about wiping down the area and wearing gloves etc. The reality is the most likely source of contamination is the air while the needle is exposed and going into the vial assuming you follow good technique and don't touch dirty to clean.

Ideally we would work in a laminar flow hood. These can be made or procured for a few hundred $ to couple grand. However we can greatly reduce the likely hood of contamination by using a simple still air box ~$20 to make. Start with a clean room and then setup your still air box. Sanitize your work area and supplies inside the box and then do the reconstitution and filtering inside. The air inside the box has minimal air movement so the chance of contamination is greatly reduced.

This is all standard procedure in the world of mycology. There are lots of resources on contamination reduction strategies in that world. I highly recommend taking the time to google this and watching some videos.

Is it necessary? probably not if you stay within 28 days per vial and your RS is not immune compromised. It all comes down to your risk tolerances. As for me I use my homemade hood in my easy clean closet that I've lined with smooth FRP panels and stainless work table but I have this for my mycology hobby. If I was going to use a vial on my RS for > 28 days I would be using every tool at my disposal to reduce the chance of contamination during the reconstitution process and at each syringe draw but that is my risk tolerance. I bring it up as harm reduction has been a hot topic of late and given all the new researchers I felt it is a relevant topic.
If you want a still air box to become normalized in this area post over at meso under the name ghoul and somehow you will see people talking about it in every social forum with peptides.

Is Bac water not supposed to be used long term? There is a short shelf life once you start using it?
Either you follow best practice, or you figure out your risk comfort level.

You will NEVER find a definite answer - but best practice is best practice for a reason.

That said, I don’t mind storing a couple syringes in a case meant for glasses (specifically used as an example since it was what I found while packing), and slapping that in my toiletry bag when traveling (in that case I would use bac water though, maybe.

I reconstitute with sterile water because it’s cheap and more practical to just grab when I drive by a pharmacy. I’m also too lazy to alcohol swab everything (I do swipe the vial too before reconstituting). I leave my reconstituted peptides in the fridge with my good and all other things, and when taking a shot I just jab the vial then jab my stomach with the same needle.

Not recommended practice, definitely not best practice. But people seem to really overthink this stuff.

If you’re unsure, follow best practice. If you don’t want to do that, then figure out your risk tolerance- no one can do that for you :)

Back