Liraglutide available as a generic now

Chizikitide-1977

New_Member
Reaction score
For those that aren't aware, Liraglutide is now available as a generic. I found this coupon from goodrx for $245 for a months supply from rite aid.

This seems like an affordable option for those wanting the benefit of GLP-1 Meds who might be sketched out with the peptide or compounding pharmacy routes. I know of alot of people who stand to benefit from these drugs that wouldn't consider those options. Presumably this could be prescribed off label by your regular doctor for weightloss and paid out of pocket.

Of course Liraglutide's 8% body weight reduction is not as significant as Semaglutide's 15% or tirzepatide's 21%, and it has to be injected daily. But still this is an option people should be aware of.

I started off with compounded liraglutide from Henry Meds in June 2023 because I figured if I had bad side effects, I wouldn’t have to wait a week for the dose to wear off. It worked great for a couple of months. Then I switched to sema to have weekly dosing, and eventually to tirz. But the liraglutide worked pretty darn well for me. It’s worth a trial for that price.

I started on name brand lira January 2023 and by July 2023 I lost 58 lbs but I stayed sick. So.very.sick. I ended up with massive bloating nausea and vomiting to the point my electrolytes were out of wack. I had severe constipation alternating with diarrhea so severe I was pretty sure I had c-diff. Turns out it was just colitis. The weight loss was great but I was SO miserable. Sema was on backorder and my insurance wouldn't pay for anything else (and I didn't know other channels existed to acquire anything else).
Not everyone will experience the pure hell I did, and I hope nobody ever does but this is a hard pass for me!!

isn't Sema from China for like $15 monthly better?
Better… I don’t know define better?

Is the research chemical route the proper balance of risk and effectiveness for you and I? I would suppose so considering that seems to be the way we’re doing this. Does that mean it's right for everyone? I would say hell no. There are a lot of people out there that are not comfortable buying powder in a vial from some frenchy fuck (or whatever he is) pretending to be an Asian woman from a steroid forum and shooting up with it. While that may not be the decision I make I respect other people for coming to a different conclusion. I mean let's get real for a second, research peptides are sketchy and and not everyone is up for it.

I believe alot of these people could still benefit from GLP1s and would like them to be informed of what the options are.

I am not familiar with US pricing but seems still expensive for me

I am not familiar with US pricing but seems still expensive for me
Brand name victoza retails for about $1400 per month, so by American extortitive price standards, this is cheap.

Due to the way US patent law works, there is only 1 company allowed to make generics for the first 6 months after the expiration of the patent. After that other companies can make the generic as well. So maybe around January of 2025, the price will come down again with several manufacturers making this stuff. Something for folks to watch out for if $245 a month is still outside your budget.

Brand name victoza retails for about $1400 per month, so by American extortitive price standards, this is cheap.

Due to the way US patent law works, there is only 1 company allowed to make generics for the first 6 months after the expiration of the patent. After that other companies can make the generic as well. So maybe around January of 2025, the price will come down again with several manufacturers making this stuff. Something for folks to watch out for if $245 a month is still outside your budget.
Thank you very intresting. Victoza is called "Saxenda" in Europe and costs around 180€ (~200USD) for 6mg/ml (PEN for one month).

Is the research chemical route the proper balance of risk and effectiveness for you and I?
It's highly likely that the liraglutide comes from the same factory in China as the semaglutide that can be sourced from chinese vendors at the grey market.

The term "research chemical" is also kinda misleading, as it implies that this is somehow a different substance when we talk about liraglutide from pharmacy vs liraglutide from a chinese vendor. The reality is when they both test high at 99.xx% purity and passed the sterility test it does not make any difference at all.

believe alot of these people could still benefit from GLP1s and would like them to be informed of what the options are.
Is it really an option? Liraglutide is really not efficient compared with more modern glp-1 drugs and for the same money I can easily get a year's supply of tirzepatide, why would I waste so much money for just a months supply of an significantly less efficient drug?

It's highly likely that the liraglutide comes from the same factory in China as the semaglutide that can be sourced from chinese vendors at the grey market.
I have seen this possibility discussed on various forums and it does seem plausible for some of the research chemicals out there. Chinese manufacturers have been known to sell unbranded products through aliexpress and similar that are made in the same factory alongside the name brand. But typically the unbranded products are the ones with minor qc issues, and the brands get the best made ones. I would think that IF some of the research chemicals are in fact coming from the same factory as the FDA approved API, at a minimum they aren’t getting the best batches.

In any case while this seems like a reasonable possibility, I don’t know that anyone has ever verified it. The fact is, no one really knows where grey market peptides are coming from, and that alone gives a lot of people pause. A lot of people want FDA oversight into what they inject into their bodies, and I respect that point of view, even if I don ’t necessarily share that point of view.

it really an option? Liraglutide is really not efficient compared with more modern glp-1 drugs and for the same money I can easily get a year's supply of tirzepatide, why would I waste so much money for just a months supply of an significantly less efficient drug?

Liraglutide is the least effective glp1 out there (probably with the worst side effects) but it is still more effective than anything that came before it. Also, to be clear this thread is not intended to get anyone to stop using research peptides, (I’m not!) but rather targeted at those doing their initial research on GLPs that ultimately decide they want FDA oversight into what they inject.

Overall, I think getting one glp1 down to a quasi affordable price without insurance in the US is an important milestone and one that people should know about.

Although a couple of the Chinese suppliers do offer it, I don't see liraglutide becoming suddenly popular among independent researchers, but what I do expect is that insurance companies will probably start requiring it as step therapy for anyone trying to get approved for coverage of Ozempic/Wegovy or Mounjaro/Zepbound. Metformin is already pretty much the mandatory starting point especially for diabetics and some weight loss patients, and now they'll have an additional level to require patients to try at far less cost.

Trending content

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Christie1107
Back