Retatrutide's effect on alcohol cravings?

hotdog!

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone report what, if any, effects Reta has had on alcohol consumption/craving to drink?

I have heard about tirzepatide's lessening alcohol cravings and consumption. In my experience with tirz, this has been true, but certainly not a cure-all.

I recently quit drinking altogether, but I was in functional alcoholic territory, where I would drink everyday, but only from 5-8 and always the same amount. 1 bottle of wine would numb the stress and anxiety, but I could still get up at 6am without a hangover. When I started tirz, I cut down, but if I ramped back up to the same bottle of wine every night without issue. The urge to drink is still there, out of habit, even though I felt less of a physiological (addictive) compulsion to drink while taking tirz. I could "drink through" the tirz effect if I decided to, but I did feel less of a desire to drink. Of course, I want to drink less.

I just wondered if Reta had the same, stronger or less effect on drinking.

I took was at the same place where I was googling if I was an alcoholic. I could easily finish a bottle of wine every night if I wanted to. Since starting both Tirz and then especially Reta, I have a hard time drinking. I just can't handle the taste and I don't even really know what I mean about that... I just know I rarely drink more than a glass of anything now and I don't have the urge to want it either.

I'm sure it would have impact as they both work on GLP-1 and GIP receptors. The main difference is that Reta also works on glucagon receptors.

Can anyone report what, if any, effects Reta has had on alcohol consumption/craving to drink?

I have heard about tirzepatide's lessening alcohol cravings and consumption. In my experience with tirz, this has been true, but certainly not a cure-all.

I recently quit drinking altogether, but I was in functional alcoholic territory, where I would drink everyday, but only from 5-8 and always the same amount. 1 bottle of wine would numb the stress and anxiety, but I could still get up at 6am without a hangover. When I started tirz, I cut down, but if I ramped back up to the same bottle of wine every night without issue. The urge to drink is still there, out of habit, even though I felt less of a physiological (addictive) compulsion to drink while taking tirz. I could "drink through" the tirz effect if I decided to, but I did feel less of a desire to drink. Of course, I want to drink less.

I’m sorry, I know this isn’t what you asked, but have you considered going to an AA meeting? I’m in recovery, haven’t drank in over a decade, haven’t been to a meeting in a long time, but in the early days of getting sober it was super helpful if just as free group therapy with people who you could relate with. I still use the coping skills and approach in all kinds of life problems.

Good luck getting this sorted out. White knuckling it can be tough. Eventually if you don’t drink for long enough you don’t think about it anymore, or at least that’s how it went for me.

When I was on Sema/ Wegovy I hardly drank. When my doctor added Contrave ( for binge eating disorder) I had zero desire to drink . Contrave is Wellbutrin and Naltrexone combined. Naltrexone is used in higher doses for addiction. Naltrexone is an extremely inexpensive generic drug. If you could see an doctor for a prescription I would highly recommend it.

It’s the GLP-1 that is shown to curb alcohol cravings, so you’d find that particular benefit in Sema, Tirz, and Reta.

Listen to @exploitedworkerbee , he's totally right about the meetings idea. What's the worst that can happen if you go to check it out? You were drinking quite a bit for reasons that'll keep you hooked.

That said, GLP1s (Reta included) will help you, but make sure you don't find another vice AND you know how to deal with those emotions once the assistance from these meds wears off.

Also, you're a very complicated hot dog.

"Complicated hot dog" made me laugh. I guess it may sound that way. It's mostly anxiety, over-worrying and overthinking as an introvert. I also have a 6-yr-old with an ADHD and ASD diagnosis and that brings its fair share of stress. I drink (and eat) to self-medicate those things. I did online AA groups for a bit and it felt...weird. I just don't wholly buy in to the idea of meetings, and without that buy-in I doubt they'd be an effective tool for me. Maybe that's just me not being ready for it.

I do have an appointment with a psych to discuss anxiety treatment, hopefully medication. I've been on fluoxetine decades ago for depression and feel it was a good fit. I'll ask about the Contrave, thanks @Vacation4us. I appreciate all suggestions and feedback!

"Complicated hot dog" made me laugh. I guess it may sound that way. It's mostly anxiety, over-worrying and overthinking as an introvert. I also have a 6-yr-old with an ADHD and ASD diagnosis and that brings its fair share of stress. I drink (and eat) to self-medicate those things. I did online AA groups for a bit and it felt...weird. I just don't wholly buy in to the idea of meetings, and without that buy-in I doubt they'd be an effective tool for me. Maybe that's just me not being ready for it.

I do have an appointment with a psych to discuss anxiety treatment, hopefully medication. I've been on fluoxetine decades ago for depression and feel it was a good fit. I'll ask about the Contrave, thanks @Vacation4us. I appreciate all suggestions and feedback!
If you don’t like meetings (I don’t), I have found the stopdrinking subreddit very helpful! It’s a good one to lurk in and read stories. I always come out feeling supported even if I haven’t really posted.

And good luck with contrave! I was prescribed it a few years ago for weight loss and it did absolutely nothing for me and I react very poorly to Wellbutrin.

If you don’t like meetings (I don’t), I have found the stopdrinking subreddit very helpful! It’s a good one to lurk in and read stories. I always come out feeling supported even if I haven’t really posted.

And good luck with contrave! I was prescribed it a few years ago for weight loss and it did absolutely nothing for me and I react very poorly to Wellbutrin.
Binge Intervention at the same time.

Trending content

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Squirt82
Back