Tirzepatide shown to help reduce sleep apnea severity.

Obstructive sleep apnea often is due to being overweight. So weight loss is likely going to have multiple health related benefits like reduction of OSA.

I've used a CPAP successfully for several years to treat my severe sleep apnea.
With CPAP therapy my 62 Obstructive Sleep Apneas per Hour (untreated) is reduced to a very, very low 0.4 OSA/hour.

Semaglutide has enabled me to lose over 20% of my bodyweight in the past year.
Now I use 38% LESS PRESSURE and keep my OSAs NEAR ZERO!
Those who don't use CPAP won't know this but a 38% reduction in mask pressure is a HUGE amount.

I've spent the past month transitioning to Tirzepatide @ 7.5mg weekly.
Will Tirz decrease my OSAs and allow further pressure reductions? I'll keep you updated :)

Last edited:
This is an interesting article, but I'm thinking that it's not so much the tirz that's directly causing fewer OSAs, but the fact that subjects lost 20% of their weight. What I'd really like to see is the same study repeated with subjects who lost that amount of weight via other meds or gastric bypass, etc.

With CPAP therapy my 62 Obstructive Sleep Apneas per Hour (untreated) is reduced to a very, very low 0.4 OSA/hour.

Those who don't use CPAP won't know this but a 38% reduction in mask pressure is a HUGE amount.

Will Tirz decrease my OSAs and allow further pressure reductions? I'll keep you updated :)
This is a fantastic result - congratulations!

HOL UP!
I don't see that this study reveals the effect of Tirzepitide alone on AHI (OSAs)
as distinct from the effect of bodyweight reduction alone on OSAs.

SURMOUNT 2 - CPAP USERSAHI CHANGE 52nd WEEKBODYWEIGHT CHANGE %
Tirzepatide-30.4-20.1
Placebo

-2.3 %

-2.3 %

Quite the contrary finding I think.
SURMOUNT 2 - CPAP USERS
BODYWEIGHT CHANGE %AHI CHANGE %
Tirzepatide-20.1-62.8
Placebo-2.3-6.3

CPAP users who received a Placebo and lost 2.3% of their bodyweight during the study
had a 6.3% reduction in OSA. I would say this study indicates suggests that bodyweight reduction alone reduces AHI.
Certainly Tirzepatide makes weight loss far easier to achieve, and I am grateful for that! However, let's not oversell the benefits.

I'm a CPAP user who lost 20% bodyweight using (primarily) Semaglutide. I doubt that switching to Tirzepatide will provide ADDITIONAL OSA reduction apart from that achieved by further weight loss. There is no evidence in this study to persuade me that it would.

Said differently: IMO at my goal weight, in maintenance at a fixed weight, and experiencing a consistent measured rate of OSAs - switching to Tirzepitide from Semaglutide would cause no reduction in OSAs.

Last edited:
In addition to OSA, I can see so many more trials being put in place for the beneficial effects of tirz that would show statstical significance. Somethings such as reducing the incidence of colon cancer, albeit it is hard to identify whether this is due to tirz as the medication or just reducing overall caloric intake. In any case, amazing things to come.

Sleep improvement is thought to be due to the effect on the sleep wake cycle. I read an article about it when I was researching fatigue with tirzepatide. I will try to find it again and link it. I am worthless for two days post injection d/t fatigue

Sleep improvement is thought to be due to the effect on the sleep wake cycle. I read an article about it when I was researching fatigue with tirzepatide. I will try to find it again and link it. I am worthless for two days post injection d/t fatigue
Did your research into Tirz fatigue have anything to say about improvements from Stacking Reta or transitioning entirely to Reta?

Reta adds a glucagon receptor agonist and the liver is full of them. Reta promotes fibrolysis in the liver. NASH or non alcoholic steatohepatitis leads to cirrhosis and hepatocellular cancer. Reta is going to be big because it reverses fatty liver. You know what I do and this is really big between weight loss, diabetes, and fatty liver. If you buy stock I would definitely buy this company's stock - Eli Lilly

Edited to add: No on helping with fatigue.

Do you do a sleep study every so often or are you tracking Apnea events another way? I also have it and use a CPAP but Id like to know how much it has improved with weight loss.

Do you do a sleep study every so often or are you tracking Apnea events another way? I also have it and use a CPAP but Id like to know how much it has improved with weight loss.
I have a Resmed VAuto 10. Like many CPAP machines it keeps a record of its use in an enclosed mini-USB Card. There is a free sofware package called Oscar that can read the data and produce quite detailed reports like the one below. Runs on PCs and Macs.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 5.00.08 PM.png

I have also heard of mobile apps that get information relayed to them via the CPAP machine.

I have also heard of mobile apps that get information relayed to them via the CPAP machine.
Yes I think so!
A few years back some of the boffins on CPAPTalk.com had implemented a USB WiFi enabled card system. Standard component mounted on a CPAP machine transmitted to a laptop/desktop without the need to physically move the USB drive. Very nice!

I have a Resmed VAuto 10. Like many CPAP machines it keeps a record of its use in an enclosed mini-USB Card. There is a free sofware package called Oscar that can read the data and produce quite detailed reports like the one below. Runs on PCs and Macs.

View attachment 564
Ok, interesting. I have the Resmed Airsense 10. I dont think mine has the mini-Card but Ill have to check for sure. Id also like to know where Im at with no CPAP usage at all without paying a bargeload for a sleep study.

Yes I think so!
A few years back some of the boffins on CPAPTalk.com had implemented a USB WiFi enabled card system. Standard component mounted on a CPAP machine transmitted to a laptop/desktop without the need to physically move the USB drive. Very nice!
Thats what I had and upon replacing my machine with the same model it is no longer available for the new machine. Now SD is my only option. Big bummer.

Back