Added testosterone replacement therapy... does the weight gain stop?

tyrus-pgh

New_Member
Reaction score
I started TRT about two weeks ago, and the benefits have been fantastic. However, I’ve noticed an unexpected weight gain of about 6 pounds since starting. My diet hasn’t changed, and I’ve increased my exercise routine. I hope this weight gain levels off soon and doesn’t continue to rise. I currently take Tirz 7.5 every four days.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I started TRT about two weeks ago, and the benefits have been fantastic. However, I’ve noticed an unexpected weight gain of about 6 pounds since starting. My diet hasn’t changed, and I’ve increased my exercise routine. I hope this weight gain levels off soon and doesn’t continue to rise. I currently take Tirz 7.5 every four days.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Don’t worry :)

If you did a body-scan before and after. You would moat likely see: decreased fat, increased water, increases muscle.

Depending on how much testosterone you have added the amount of muscle shouldn’t be very significant.

Increased amount of exercise is also likely to add water weight.

Keep doing what you’re doing and son’t worry about the scale.

Use measurement tape, progress pictures and body scans instead

Don’t worry :)

If you did a body-scan before and after. You would moat likely see: decreased fat, increased water, increases muscle.

Depending on how much testosterone you have added the amount of muscle shouldn’t be very significant.

Increased amount of exercise is also likely to add water weight.

Keep doing what you’re doing and son’t worry about the scale.

Use measurement tape, progress pictures and body scans instead
Thanks for the reply! I'm probably over-worrying about the weight gain. So far, the benefits from TRT after two weeks have been unbelievable—increased energy, no brain fog, much more positive, and the expected increased libido.

BTW...

Testosterone Cream (30ml) twice daily.
Strength: 150mg/mL 15%

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! I'm probably over-worrying about the weight gain. So far, the benefits from TRT after two weeks have been unbelievable—increased energy, no brain fog, much more positive, and the expected increased libido.

BTW...

Testosterone Cream (30ml) twice daily.
Strength: 150mg/mL 15%
do you mind sharing... oh wait i see it now.

amazing a topical can make that much difference.

i'm going to possibly shoot up test-c oil coming today. I don't want to lose any hair though.

do you mind sharing... oh wait i see it now.

amazing a topical can make that much difference.

i'm going to possibly shoot up test-c oil coming today. I don't want to lose any hair though.
if your mothers father didn’t have early hair loss, test alone is unlikey to make you lose your hair at a low dosage.

Steroids that cause excessive DHT production is more likely to do that tren, mast and anavar for example

Edit: spelling

I’m curious about this, too!

I ended up starting sema and TRT on the same day, just under a month ago, and until this week the scale has been bouncing around but essentially flat, despite significantly reduced caloric intake due to sema appetite suppression and more energy/physical activity with TRT.

258.7 on 9/7, just after first injections
259.4 on 9/14
260 on 9/21
257 on 9/28
257 today, 10/1

My assumption is that I’m holding water weight roughly in proportion to fatloss. Clothes are fitting better, tho, so I’m going to ride this out for now, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t looking forward to some movement on the scale as well!

I’m curious about this, too!

I ended up starting sema and TRT on the same day, just under a month ago, and until this week the scale has been bouncing around but essentially flat, despite significantly reduced caloric intake due to sema appetite suppression and more energy/physical activity with TRT.

258.7 on 9/7, just after first injections
259.4 on 9/14
260 on 9/21
257 on 9/28
257 today, 10/1

My assumption is that I’m holding water weight roughly in proportion to fatloss. Clothes are fitting better, tho, so I’m going to ride this out for now, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t looking forward to some movement on the scale as well!
I started Tirz on 3/26 and lost 54 lbs by 9/14. I started TRT on 9/15 and have gained 6 lbs as of today.

Hi there. Well, I can’t imagine doing both out of the gate, but yes, water weight, a body adjusting, all of it. I would expect this for about three months, which is the time it takes for a body to adjust. I was on TZ/Reta/Cagri six months and then began Testosterone (yay! 741) and I feel like a blimp. It’s normal, enjoy!

Hi there. Well, I can’t imagine doing both out of the gate, but yes, water weight, a body adjusting, all of it. I would expect this for about three months, which is the time it takes for a body to adjust. I was on TZ/Reta/Cagri six months and then began Testosterone (yay! 741) and I feel like a blimp. It’s normal, enjoy!
I was Rxed both. I asked my provider if there was a preference in sequencing, but he said not really in his experience. *shrug* I’m hoping for more lean mass preservation than I managed with prior weightloss.

So, here's the deal. The weight gain will slow down, but nobody can say when. Be prepared to lose more slowly overall, because the TRT will help you retain muscle. Exogenous hormones (i.e., TRT) take around six to eight weeks to really start working, so always keep this in mind after adjusting your dose. This bears repeating: Hormones work slowly, they do not work overnight or even within a couple weeks time.

You can cause issues if you constantly change your TRT dosage, so be careful. Stay at one dose for a minimum of six weeks before adjusting further. Depending on your bodyfat, you might need an aromatase inhibitor, but such discussions are for your prescribing clinician. Extra estrogen (E2) in the body will cause more water retention, too.

Good luck!

So, here's the deal. The weight gain will slow down, but nobody can say when. Be prepared to lose more slowly overall, because the TRT will help you retain muscle. Exogenous hormones (i.e., TRT) take around six to eight weeks to really start working, so always keep this in mind after adjusting your dose. This bears repeating: Hormones work slowly, they do not work overnight or even within a couple weeks time.

You can cause issues if you constantly change your TRT dosage, so be careful. Stay at one dose for a minimum of six weeks before adjusting further. Depending on your bodyfat, you might need an aromatase inhibitor, but such discussions are for your prescribing clinician. Extra estrogen (E2) in the body will cause more water retention, too.

Good luck!
Solid advice! Thank you.

I join the club suggesting its the most likely just a "water gain", some people are more sensitive to that - you will have to check your estrogen and maybe add some arimidex, in the meantime monitor your BP, in case you hold lot of water, it can significantly increase you BP (again in sensitive individuals)

Back