How Have GLP1s Changed Your Life?

Dee X

Reaction score
Simple question: How have GLP1s (incretin mimetics) changed your life? 🙂

For me, I gained 90 lbs last year prior to my dozen-eth surgery for nasal polyps. Being on Prednisone for the whole year always sucks, and comes with insatiable hunger. This has happened 6 times throughout my life, follow by rapid weightloss from extreme exercise once I can breathe again.

I started losing weight on Jan 1st 2024 this year at 295 lbs and am down to 178 lbs as of this morning. This has been the quickest I've lost all of my Prednisone weight so far, and the healthiest according to my (very frequent) blood test results.

Interestingly enough, it's also the least effort I have put into losing weight throughout my life. No need for extraneous exercise for 5+ hours per day and no constant soreness from exercising constantly while weighing too much. It's been more relaxed and healthy amount of exercise I get to put in while losing weight without a problem. I can actually have a full time job while being able to get this done.

I'm more able to do everything! I was anti GLP1 until I found Dr. Tyna's 4-part pocast for GLP1's done right. Then it opened my eyes for all of the benefits!! I've lost and gained the same 15 lbs for years with no real success. Weight watchers, jenny craig, high intensity workout, etc. GLP1 Tirz made loosing weight doable! I'm down 42 lbs since May. My focus is a lot of protein (i could almost be carnivore), low and slow dosage (still on 5mg), and strength training! I am able to lift 3 days a week and squat for the first time in years. I lifted a 45 lb sand bag the other day for reps and it really sank in how much that put on my body. I still have another 20 to go but at 50 I'll be far healthier than at 30!

For me, I gained 90 lbs last year prior to my dozen-eth surgery for nasal polyps. Being on Prednisone for the whole year always sucks, and comes with insatiable hunger. This has happened 6 times throughout my life, follow by rapid weightloss from extreme exercise once I can breathe again.

I started losing weight on Jan 1st 2024 this year at 295 lbs and am down to 178 lbs as of this morning. This has been the quickest I've lost all of my Prednisone weight so far, and the healthiest according to my (very frequent) blood test results.

Interestingly enough, it's also the least effort I have put into losing weight throughout my life. No need for extraneous exercise for 5+ hours per day and no constant soreness from exercising constantly while weighing too much. It's been more relaxed and healthy amount of exercise I get to put in while losing weight without a problem. I can actually have a full time job while being able to get this done.

Incredible! I love reading that.

I was 450lbs, truly suicidal and thinking about it daily. I'm now about to be in the 260's and don't think like that anymore. I'm excited to live for the first time in a decade and I credit these medicines, because everything changed when I gave them a chance.

The biggest change is hopefully one that takes decades to realize. Nothing is more important than living a long and healthy life and being there for those that need me and these medicines are helping me achieve that goal.

As for short term life changes, I think the most immediate change is the end of food noise and my ability to live my life the way I always wanted to. Nothing makes me happier than the desire to eat a nice healthy meal, eat said meal and then go about my life without thinking about all the other stuff I could be eating.

I got to say, posts like these are my favorite. I love reading about how these medicines are changing peoples lives for the better and I hope when I am older, we look back on this time as a major turning point, like the discovery of vaccines and the end of polio.

I'm more able to do everything! I was anti GLP1 until I found Dr. Tyna's 4-part pocast for GLP1's done right. Then it opened my eyes for all of the benefits!! I've lost and gained the same 15 lbs for years with no real success. Weight watchers, jenny craig, high intensity workout, etc. GLP1 Tirz made loosing weight doable! I'm down 42 lbs since May. My focus is a lot of protein (i could almost be carnivore), low and slow dosage (still on 5mg), and strength training! I am able to lift 3 days a week and squat for the first time in years. I lifted a 45 lb sand bag the other day for reps and it really sank in how much that put on my body. I still have another 20 to go but at 50 I'll be far healthier than at 30!
Out of curiosity, how were you originally anti GLP-1? I have a LOT of family that is excessively against these medications and don't really want to ask them as I don't want to clue them in on what I am taking.

I've lost 103 lbs and am now able to comfortably work out, walk everywhere (turns out I love this), and painlessly stand for hours at a time for band practice and shows. But even more than all of that, I went from abusing alcohol daily -- a struggle that's been going on since I was 13 years old -- to having a drink every once in a while and truly being able to give or take it. It feels like the most magical freedom from something that was just wrecking me and I couldn't shake no matter how hard I tried. And now the therapy I get to help me deal with the roots of that can actually stick and be meaningful. It's amazing and I am soooo very grateful.

Out of curiosity, how were you originally anti GLP-1? I have a LOT of family that is excessively against these medications and don't really want to ask them as I don't want to clue them in on what I am taking.

I heard so much bad about it in the media and seen many talk about side effects and folks having to stay on them "forever", the long-term risks (cancer, pancreatitis). I had one co-worker using Ozempic and she lost weight, but really struggled with her gut issues, was constantly sick. So that didn't help either. Then there's the "you're taking the easy way" comments and assumptions. I'm also not a "drug" person. I've not had a flu shot in many years, I don't go to a doctor just for a cold, etc. In my adult life, I have not taken an antibiotic unless absolutely necessary. However, I hit 200lbs and knew I had to do something. And I lost the same 15 pounds for years. Dr Tyna's podcast "Ozempic done right" really opened my eyes and ears to GLP1's. Then the rabbit hole began :).

Incredible! I love reading that.

I was 450lbs, truly suicidal and thinking about it daily. I'm now about to be in the 260's and don't think like that anymore. I'm excited to live for the first time in a decade and I credit these medicines, because everything changed when I gave them a chance.
Duuuuuude. High fives all around.

When did you start taking GLP1s? What made you choose GLP1s over bariatric surgery out of curiosity?

The biggest change is hopefully one that takes decades to realize. Nothing is more important than living a long and healthy life and being there for those that need me and these medicines are helping me achieve that goal.

As for short term life changes, I think the most immediate change is the end of food noise and my ability to live my life the way I always wanted to. Nothing makes me happier than the desire to eat a nice healthy meal, eat said meal and then go about my life without thinking about all the other stuff I could be eating.

I got to say, posts like these are my favorite. I love reading about how these medicines are changing peoples lives for the better and I hope when I am older, we look back on this time as a major turning point, like the discovery of vaccines and the end of polio.
Lack of food noise is my favorite part as well. Complete game changer.

I heard so much bad about it in the media and seen many talk about side effects and folks having to stay on them "forever", the long-term risks (cancer, pancreatitis). I had one co-worker using Ozempic and she lost weight, but really struggled with her gut issues, was constantly sick. So that didn't help either. Then there's the "you're taking the easy way" comments and assumptions. I'm also not a "drug" person. I've not had a flu shot in many years, I don't go to a doctor just for a cold, etc. In my adult life, I have not taken an antibiotic unless absolutely necessary. However, I hit 200lbs and knew I had to do something. And I lost the same 15 pounds for years. Dr Tyna's podcast "Ozempic done right" really opened my eyes and ears to GLP1's. Then the rabbit hole began :).
Glad you're along for the journey!

Feel free to ignore my to cents on doctor mindset: The way I see going to a doctor is an proactive and preventative maintenance.

Ex: Do you wait to take your car to a mechanic until your engine blows and you need to get it towed + repaired for an exponentially higher price than that of having it looked at by a mechanic once in a while?

They have made me lazy. lol. I spent 6 years in the Army and was in law enforcement for 20 years. I stayed in ok shape. Then, I gained a bunch of weight after having two surgeries last year. Losing weight is much harder in your mid 40's, and when you are in pain all of the time. This stuff is like a cheat code. "Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start" It did help lessen some of the pain in my ankle and knee though.

Trending content

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elemnopee
Back