Injecting yourself with medication isn't for everyone

ZippityDooDah

Gonkulator
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep seeing people on Reddit and elsewhere who are confused about how to calculate their desired dosage, or worse "accidently" overdose themselves. Then they get all pissy and defensive when I suggest that maybe this isn't the best path for them.

I realize that math isn't everyone's strong suit, but if people can't fully understand how to properly calculate or administer their dosage, they really need to reconsider if self-injecting is right for them. The same people probably wouldn't hesitate to bring their car to a garage for repairs that they don't feel comfortable doing themselves, yet they somehow assume that injecting themselves with drugs is no big deal.

Fortunately an accidental overdose of these GLP-1 meds isn't likely to kill anyone, but a little self-awareness and acknowledgement of one's own limitations would sure be a good thing for people to keep in mind before making such an important decision about their health. I get that wanting to lose weight and be healthier are strong motivators, but please take some time to seriously ask yourself if this is something you can commit to doing accurately and properly before starting. /rant

I whole heartedly agree. I recently joined a microneedling group, interested in using it for hair loss. Some of the people in the group are also diy-ing Botox and lip filler injections, etc. I can fully recognize my diy limits include self injected Botox! Lol. More power to those that can but I know it’s not for me.

It’s a good trait to have to recognize one’s own ability limits.

I'm really, really old (and feeling it lol), but since first hearing it in my youth I've always been a firm believer in a phrase made popular by the great philosopher Dirty Harry Callahan:
1691342782529.png

I keep seeing people on Reddit and elsewhere who are confused about how to calculate their desired dosage, or worse "accidently" overdose themselves. Then they get all pissy and defensive when I suggest that maybe this isn't the best path for them.

I realize that math isn't everyone's strong suit, but if people can't fully understand how to properly calculate or administer their dosage, they really need to reconsider if self-injecting is right for them. The same people probably wouldn't hesitate to bring their car to a garage for repairs that they don't feel comfortable doing themselves, yet they somehow assume that injecting themselves with drugs is no big deal.

Fortunately an accidental overdose of these GLP-1 meds isn't likely to kill anyone, but a little self-awareness and acknowledgement of one's own limitations would sure be a good thing for people to keep in mind before making such an important decision about their health. I get that wanting to lose weight and be healthier are strong motivators, but please take some time to seriously ask yourself if this is something you can commit to doing accurately and properly before starting. /rant
Would you recommend we tell them to stick to compound and just follow instructions closely? Cos some things I have read had me concerned about folks DIYing.

Would you recommend we tell them to stick to compound and just follow instructions closely? Cos some things I have read had me concerned about folks DIYing.
The compounding route actually worries me a little more in some respects.

It seems like most of the compounding pharmacies provide dosing instructions in insulin units instead of mg per ml, so a lot of people are completely unaware of their dosage. There have probably been more questions asked about compounding dosing than reconstituting and dosing.

I'm hoping as time progresses we'll develop a good collection of information here for people to learn proper dosing calculations regardless of how their getting their GLP-1's. I'm a bit of a math nerd so it all made sense to me pretty quickly, but I'm terrible at explaining math to other people so that's where I'm hoping others will be able to contribute content making it easier for more people to understand without going back to school.

‘’Almost nothing works the first time it’s attempted. Just because what you’re doing does not seem to be working, doesn’t mean it won’t work. It just means that it might not work the way you’re doing it.”​

Bob Parsons

I whole heartedly agree. I recently joined a microneedling group, interested in using it for hair loss. Some of the people in the group are also diy-ing Botox and lip filler injections, etc. I can fully recognize my diy limits include self injected Botox! Lol. More power to those that can but I know it’s not for me.

Agreed. I know my limits and I perform tons of research before I do anything DIY. I have self injected Botox for TMJ and have also done it for wrinkles. I have probably placed over 100 threads in my face, but I won’t do filler - the potential for occlusion scares the heck out of me. The side effects of a misplaced toxin injection is fairly minor - maybe a droop for a few months (which fortunately never happened to me) and the worse you can do with threads is to place them too superficially. But fillers are a whole different risk factor to me.

I am a 1000% math challenged individual. I begged, brown nosed, and cheated my way through precalc algebra or I would never have finished college. I have zero conscience about that. Counselors don’t use algebra! 😁 The problem IMO is not as much ability as it is commitment. I read for hours (thank you, smart people of Reddit) before I felt confident in taking on research peptides. Once I’d made my choices and calculations, I double checked them with a family member who is a NP and who takes Mounjaro herself. I could have asked her first, but I wanted to test my own understanding, you know?

All this took me several weeks, not a 2 minute ask on Reddit or worse yet, Facebook. I fear for the people you refer to because they seem willing to trust people they don’t know and who owe them nothing. Most people are cool and kind, but how could you possibly know your information was correct without a little willingness to do due diligence?

I am a 1000% math challenged individual. I begged, brown nosed, and cheated my way through precalc algebra or I would never have finished college. I have zero conscience about that. Counselors don’t use algebra! 😁 The problem IMO is not as much ability as it is commitment. I read for hours (thank you, smart people of Reddit) before I felt confident in taking on research peptides. Once I’d made my choices and calculations, I double checked them with a family member who is a NP and who takes Mounjaro herself. I could have asked her first, but I wanted to test my own understanding, you know?

All this took me several weeks, not a 2 minute ask on Reddit or worse yet, Facebook. I fear for the people you refer to because they seem willing to trust people they don’t know and who owe them nothing. Most people are cool and kind, but how could you possibly know your information was correct without a little willingness to do due diligence?
Well said.

There's a vendor offering the sema pill. I've seen. But I'm not a fan of orals. They are always hard on the liver and I take testosterone.
I’ve taken the big pharma branded pill, Rybelsus. It was super effective for me. But it’s actually more expensive than the branded pens. Crazy.

Back