Join the "GLP-1s as over-the-counter (OTC)" movement!

RighteousCrone

Registered
Reaction score
I know only a little about the science of GLP-1s. But I remember people saying a while back that the only reason Ozempic and Mounjaro could be patented was because of the pen, and that there wasn't even a shortage of the peptides, only a shortage of pens. When the dust settles, I wonder what truth will emerge. Can you really patent something that's naturally occurring in our bodies? Maybe yes, because they tweak it to lengthen the half-life. Some influencers say no, but I have no idea what reliable source I could ask.

I have always wondered if GLP-1s could actually be considered an over-the-counter medicine. Maybe if down the road they were dispensed in pills, with instructions? As a person who is a healthy weight and with normal blood sugar levels it's probably just wishful thinking, because no doctor would give me a prescription.

Make no mistake, I rely heavily on my meds. First for relief from a stress fracture in one of my vertebrae (I imagine it's the anti-inflammatory properties) and then for a significant reduction in my symptoms caused by systemic Lupus. I have been pain-free since the week I began taking Tirzepatide and after four months, I've been able to return to full-time work as an elementary school teacher. I had been on a 50% long-term medical leave for 14 years! I suspect I was already headed toward remission from my autoimmune disease, but I honestly believe GLP-1s accelerated the process. All this benefit comes from peptides purchased on the grey market. My doctors don't even know I'm on them. I guess I would tell them if anyone seemed interested, but doctors in Canada are spread pretty thin right now, and because I'm basically well, they don't ask too many questions. Plus, watching the forums, doctors seem to be all over the place in terms of their understanding, so it just feels best to go it on my own for now.

It's so sad to see so many friends and family members suffering, whether with obesity, diabetes, or autoimmune disease. We're still learning about even more benefits offered by GLP-1s. I try to tell loved ones who are suffering from some of the same conditions that I had how much Tirzepitide helped me, but I suspect they think I'm nuts. Especially when they realize I'm injecting meds I bought online from China.

So I'll sign the petition. Thanks for sharing!

Interesting Cato Institute article (click link below to read) calling for the Food and Drug Administration to reclassify GLP-1s as over-the-counter (OTC) drugs and encourage pharmaceutical manufacturers to market their products with labels detailing to consumers how to properly and safely use them.

https://www.cato.org/blog/study-finds-glp-1s-are-effectively-over-counter-drugs-online-grey-market

That’s not going to happen. Maybe after all the current patents expire in 18-20 years and another 20 years after the generic pharmaceutical producers have had their share of the new gold rush.

If the us was smart, it would just buy the patent and make it generic.

Return in investmentvwoukd be huge in terms of saved healthcare costs.

Its a too risky medication to just sell it OTC, I don't think they will ever allow that.

Back