nature's tirz? (not berberine!)

barbie

Research Expert
Reaction score
Yacon syrup (a tuber).

In the following study, women lost an average of 33 pounds... in 120 days! That rivals (or beats!) Tirz. The mechanism of action is suspected to be in modulating glp-1, glucagon (GIP), and ghrelin. The lower dose of Yacon syrup (which was tolerated well, and resulted in a much steeper weight loss than even Semaglutide), would be about 5 teaspoons - spread out - for a 150 pound person.

Use the magnifying glass to search for "glp" in this article: https://sci-hub.se/10.1016/j.clnu.2009.01.013

Note that this was the first study. Here are 2 more with yacon and glp-1:

Last edited:
Yacon syrup (a tuber).

In the following study, women lost an average of 33 pounds... in 120 days! That rivals (or beats!) Tirz. The mechanism of action is suspected to be in modulating glp-1, glucagon (GIP), and ghrelin. The lower dose of Yacon syrup (which was tolerated well, and resulted in a much steeper weight loss than even Semaglutide), would be about 5 teaspoons - spread out - for a 150 pound person.

Use the magnifying glass to search for "glp" in this article: https://sci-hub.se/10.1016/j.clnu.2009.01.013

Note that this was the first study. Here are 2 more with yacon and glp-1:

Are you going to try it? Haven’t googled it yet, but read the articles you linked; is it available? Fascinating stuff

Are you going to try it? Haven’t googled it yet, but read the articles you linked; is it available? Fascinating stuff
Have not tried it, and it is available (even organic) on Amazon.

I could see a use case in this scenario: someone who needs to lose more weight but has hit max dose of glp-1's already. I wonder if this might tide them over (along with other peptides and berberine) as they try to regain sensitivity by taking a break from glp-1's. This might fit nicely into that niche use?

Does anyone know how the doses in these studies correlate to what can be purchased on Amazon?

Does anyone know how the doses in these studies correlate to what can be purchased on Amazon?
yes. the lower (well-tolerated) dose may be equivalent to 5 teaspoons. let me check. if anyone tries this, please go slow

Here is more info:

"Yacon syrup contains about 41 percent fructooligosaccharides (FOS), according to the authors.

FOS are sugars found naturally in many types of plants but never in concentrations as high as in yacon roots. FOS are able to resist the hydrolysis of enzymes in the upper part of the human gastro-intestinal tract. For this reason, they have a low caloric value for humans.

The part about FOS being able to resist hydrolysis means these compounds make it through the upper GI tract into the area where they can stimulate the release of GLP-1. GLP-1 inhibits gastric emptying, decreases the release of glucagon, increases the release of insulin and improves insulin sensitivity.
The researchers reported that 35 out of 55 subjects completed the study, which is a small sample, especially since randomization sent 15 subjects to placebo and 20 to each of two groups getting different doses of the syrup.

The subjects were obese women 31-49 years old with no menopausal disorders and mild dyslipidemia and a history of constipation. Their body weights were a little lower, and their BMIs were smaller than those subjects in the Wegovy study we discussed last week. The average weight of those in the Wegovy study were ~106 kg (244 pounds), but that study included both males and females. The average weight in this study was ~90kg (198 pounds). The average BMI in the Wegovy study was ~38.5, while that in the Yacon syrup study was 33.5. So, the subjects in the Yacon study were smaller, which makes the results even more amazing as it’s more difficult for smaller people to lose than it is for those much larger. And it’s especially more difficult for women to lose weight than it is for men.

During the experimental period, the subjects maintained a healthful slightly hypocaloric diet (carbohydrates 50%, fat 30%, protein 15% of total energy intake, and 10 g dietary fibre/day, as calculated using the Argentine table of food composition). All patients excluded food products containing large amounts of FOS such as onions and leeks from their diet. They were instructed to maintain their habitual lifestyle behavior with moderate physical activity (45 min walks twice a week).

The study subjects were divided into two groups of 20, one of which got a 0.14g/FOS per kg dose while the other got double that. Those on placebo got a “placebo syrup,” which wasn’t defined. Molasses, maybe?
As it turned out, those getting the double dose of FOS had significant symptoms, which led to significant gastrointestinal adverse effects reported by the patients: diarrhea, severe abdominal distention, flatulence and nausea (lol typical glp-1 aginsit symptoms). The subjects considered the flatulence severe and unacceptable and no adaptation in symptoms occurred over time. Therefore, this group was excluded from the present study. Which left 20 subjects on the lower dose to compare with the 15 on placebo syrup.

But 120 days later the results were astounding."

Screenshot_20230829_174954_OneNote.jpg

(This is a sample chart where Wegovy is (inexactly) plotted against this study.)

"The Wegovy study went on for two years. The Yacon syrup study lasted for ~17 weeks. The lines above represent the body weight percentage change over time. The absolute amount of weight loss was 15 kg (33 pounds) over the 17 weeks (120 days) which is an impressive feat, especially considering the subjects were on basically a high-carb (50% of calories) diet, which generally doesn’t lead to such a dramatic weight loss."

About Yacon itself:

(please note I did not write this so I cannot vouch for the numbers!)

"The study used 0.14g of FOS per kg of body weight. Yacon syrup contains between 45-50 percent FOS. It takes about a teaspoon per every 30 pounds of body weight to hit the 0.14g per kg used in the study. So, if you weigh 150 pounds, you would take 5 teaspoons of the syrup per day. We do not have study info on the timing of doses, so perhaps try divided doses, taking it twice per day, morning and evening."

Jars on Amazon run about $15 each, so the average person would spend maybe $45-60 per month on this.

I cannot vouch for the safety of this, I know that people who bloat a lot with veggies/salads might have more GI symptoms with FOS, and some people are downright intolerant of FOS (I think people with Crohn's and other such GI issues?)

Thanks, Barbie for the detailed information. I have several friends who can't get prescription GLP1 and either they or their spouse are reluctant to try DIY. Maybe this is an option.

Do you know if all yacon syrup has the same saturation of FOS in it? The most common based on labels is 2g sugars per tsp.

Last edited:
Thanks, Barbie for the detailed information. I have several friends who can't get prescription GLP1 and either they or their spouse are reluctant to try DIY. Maybe this is an option.

Do you know if all yacon syrup has the same saturation of FOS in it? The most common based on labels is 2g sugars per tsp.
I wish I could answer that for you! I am new to yacon too.

I would love to hear feedback if anyone tries it. I might try it closer to the holidays!

I wish I could answer that for you! I am new to yacon too.

I would love to hear feedback if anyone tries it. I might try it closer to the holidays!
I also want to hear about anyone’s experiences when trying this, please & thank you. I wonder if it would work with a low carb diet? I can’t eat that percentage ratio of Carbs. Very interesting stuff though, thanks @barbie !

Here is more info:

"Yacon syrup contains about 41 percent fructooligosaccharides (FOS), according to the authors.

FOS are sugars found naturally in many types of plants but never in concentrations as high as in yacon roots. FOS are able to resist the hydrolysis of enzymes in the upper part of the human gastro-intestinal tract. For this reason, they have a low caloric value for humans.

The part about FOS being able to resist hydrolysis means these compounds make it through the upper GI tract into the area where they can stimulate the release of GLP-1. GLP-1 inhibits gastric emptying, decreases the release of glucagon, increases the release of insulin and improves insulin sensitivity.
The researchers reported that 35 out of 55 subjects completed the study, which is a small sample, especially since randomization sent 15 subjects to placebo and 20 to each of two groups getting different doses of the syrup.

The subjects were obese women 31-49 years old with no menopausal disorders and mild dyslipidemia and a history of constipation. Their body weights were a little lower, and their BMIs were smaller than those subjects in the Wegovy study we discussed last week. The average weight of those in the Wegovy study were ~106 kg (244 pounds), but that study included both males and females. The average weight in this study was ~90kg (198 pounds). The average BMI in the Wegovy study was ~38.5, while that in the Yacon syrup study was 33.5. So, the subjects in the Yacon study were smaller, which makes the results even more amazing as it’s more difficult for smaller people to lose than it is for those much larger. And it’s especially more difficult for women to lose weight than it is for men.

During the experimental period, the subjects maintained a healthful slightly hypocaloric diet (carbohydrates 50%, fat 30%, protein 15% of total energy intake, and 10 g dietary fibre/day, as calculated using the Argentine table of food composition). All patients excluded food products containing large amounts of FOS such as onions and leeks from their diet. They were instructed to maintain their habitual lifestyle behavior with moderate physical activity (45 min walks twice a week).

The study subjects were divided into two groups of 20, one of which got a 0.14g/FOS per kg dose while the other got double that. Those on placebo got a “placebo syrup,” which wasn’t defined. Molasses, maybe?
As it turned out, those getting the double dose of FOS had significant symptoms, which led to significant gastrointestinal adverse effects reported by the patients: diarrhea, severe abdominal distention, flatulence and nausea (lol typical glp-1 aginsit symptoms). The subjects considered the flatulence severe and unacceptable and no adaptation in symptoms occurred over time. Therefore, this group was excluded from the present study. Which left 20 subjects on the lower dose to compare with the 15 on placebo syrup.

But 120 days later the results were astounding."
Can you please link the study that this text is from? I'd like to read the entire published study. The other two linked were only studies on rats and this excpert references human subjects. Thanks.

I bought some of the syrup from Amazon and took 3 tsp daily with my protein shakes. I'm already doing a lot of other stuff like tirz and ipamorelin but adding the yacon didn't seem like a game changer. Maybe because I already had other stuff on board. It was tasty though!

Trending content

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Christie1107
Back