Hospira BAC water availability

I got my order from AMSCO in about 5 days. But I'm only 5 hours from one of their locations. I did get the standard "what kind of business do you do" email. The rep was super friendly. I decided to add on a couple things before my order shipped, and they were happy to do so. The small sharps container I ordered was out of stock. They kindly offered to substitute with a slightly larger one.
I also ordered bac water, insulin needles/syringes, alcohol swabs, and sterile drapes. Everything was well packaged. 10/10 recommend
Supposedly they shipped to me. Wish they provided tracking info, their website says it was delivered two days ago....

did you check your invoice? I received an invoice when my order shipped that had the tracking # on the bottom.
No I didn't receive anything from them. Only reason I know it shipped is because I went into my order history on their website and it says that it shipped. But it says it was delivered a few days ago.... The plot thickens

Thanks, YOU are fabulous! I read your comment to SuperDaughter, so the pressure is on! The big day is Sunday, so we will see. I have to say, I do lots of magical Peps, so this would be great. Thanks!
I've been meaning to check in on you and see if you and SuperDaughter were able to get your pens working. :)
If not you may want to post in the PepPens thread and we should be able to help

Just posted in PepPens with some links for working with the Pens in case anyone needs it.
PepPen Thread Link

👀😃😍

If someone would like to split a case with me...

$75 plus $15 shipping
+ $10-$15 reship half case

About $50 each for 12/13 bottles. I'll even give you the extra bottle, lol

I just got 3 bottles, so 12 is more than I can use by Nov 2025, but cheaper than buying 4 bottles from Precision. If I had excess at that price, I'd go 1-2 months per bottle instead of stretching it out to 3.

Also, does anyone know the reason behind the suggested storage at room temp? As a chef, I have to think keeping it in the fridge would prolong shelf life by slowing bacterial growth... I'm wondering if storing untapped vials in the fridge would make it last past exp date?? But I'm not a biologist/chemist, so there could be more to this than my food brain can account for.
If you are still looking to split, I'd be happy to :)

If you are still looking to split, I'd be happy to :)
Already split with someone, sorry... But you don't have to buy a full case. Change the case drop down to bottle and get what you want.

It's $15 shipping, so I'd suggest buying enough to last you until the exp date on current stock, which appears to be Jan 2026.

It's stored at room temp, and how long you work out of the bottle, once tapped into, is your call. Mfr recommends 28 days, but many go 3 months. Just use a sharpie on the bottle and date it when you tap in the first time. You can read through this thread from the beginning, and make your own decision on how long to work out of the same bottle. I have a bit of a surplus, so I'll probably just use it for 6 weeks and toss the rest. Lots of people go 3 months though.

As with every aspect of research, it's entirely up to you and what level of safety you want to apply to your own research. No one can tell you these things, they can only say what they do and argue why. This is why thorough research should be done by each individual. It's your Research Subject, you make the call.

A 30yo farm boy from Iowa who gets cut on rusty barbed wire frequently and had rabies twice can handle more low level bacteria than an anemic 77yo with an autoimmune disease and 18 other health conditions.

Last edited:
Already split with someone, sorry... But you don't have to buy a full case. Change the case drop down to bottle and get what you want.

It's $15 shipping, so I'd suggest buying enough to last you until the exp date on current stock, which appears to be Jan 2026.

It's stored at room temp, and how long you work out of the bottle, once tapped into, is your call. Mfr recommends 28 days, but many go 3 months. Just use a sharpie on the bottle and date it when you tap in the first time. You can read through this thread from the beginning, and make your own decision on how long to work out of the same bottle. I have a bit of a surplus, so I'll probably just use it for 6 weeks and toss the rest. Lots of people go 3 months though.

As with every aspect of research, it's entirely up to you and what level of safety you want to apply to your own research. No one can tell you these things, they can only say what they do and argue why. This is why thorough research should be done by each individual. It's your Research Subject, you make the call.

A 30yo farm boy from Iowa who gets cut on rusty barbed wire frequently and had rabies twice can handle more low level bacteria than an anemic 77yo with an autoimmune disease and 18 other health conditions.
Rabies twice! LOL

So the bac water is stored at room temp even after puncture? Thanks for clarifying!

Rabies twice! LOL

So the bac water is stored at room temp even after puncture? Thanks for clarifying!
I'm not giving names, lol but "some" store it in the fridge after puncture.

I asked my aunt about this. She's a nurse and has owned/operated an assisted living facility for 16 years. She said that storing it in the fridge causes the alcohol in it to degrade. I left it at that, she was busy.

I suppose, one could argue that by storing it in the fridge, the cooler temps slow bacterial growth, making up for the degraded alcohol or making it last longer. As a chef, I have to think this is true, but I'm not a dr, scientist, or chemist.

So again, you do you!

Personally, with my current stock, and at $3-$4 a bottle, I will stretch the mfr 28 days to 6-8 weeks, depending on the situation, not store in the fridge, and call it a day!

However - I recently added a new RS that is 77yo, has an autoimmune disease, and other health conditions. So, going forward, I will be running everything through .22 micron syringe filters, into brand name ("non Amazon") empty sterile vials, and not using bac water past 28 days - for that RS. I will also not administer from vials beyond 8 weeks from recon date, for this RS.

I do, in fact, practice what I preach!

thank you so much... I'll try to stay just below rabies level but with lots of work experience in healthcare I agree with your assessment <3

I'm not giving names, lol but "some" store it in the fridge after puncture.

I asked my aunt about this. She's a nurse and has owned/operated an assisted living facility for 16 years. She said that storing it in the fridge causes the alcohol in it to degrade. I left it at that, she was busy
Hmm interesting, never heard that before! All I can seem to find is that benzyl alcohol degrades with exposure to air, but it's unclear how much of that is mitigated when preserved in water.

Last edited:
to my knowledge, alcohol degrades through air and heat...... there is a bottle of vodca that has been in the freezer for 7 years... it tastes just fine :) I will put my bac water in the fridge once open :)
Lol I used to keep Captain Morgan in the freezer... But I wasn't injecting it and a 100 proof is a "tad" more than .9%.

Storing in the fridge makes sense to me, but I'd think that if it stored better in the fridge, the manufacturer would say to store it in the fridge, not room temp.

But they also say to toss it after 28 days and many use it for 2-3 months.

All I can seem to find is that benzyl alcohol degrades with exposure to air,
Yeah, I couldn't find anything about temp other than the recommended storage at room temp.

Maybe the recommendations are designed to sell more product...

Lol I used to keep Captain Morgan in the freezer... But I wasn't injecting it and a 100 proof is a "tad" more than .9%.

Storing in the fridge makes sense to me, but I'd think that if it stored better in the fridge, the manufacturer would say to store it in the fridge, not room temp.

But they also say to toss it after 28 days and many use it for 2-3 months.

Yeah, I couldn't find anything about temp other than the recommended storage at room temp.

Maybe the recommendations are designed to sell more product...
Text below is AI generated, so whether you trust it or not is up to you - but it makes sense to me.
In theory it could last a very long time - probably until it's empty. But that would require a perfectly sterile environment and no fluctuations in storage conditions etc. So in practice I probably wouldn't keep a bottle more than 2-3 months. But I'm also fine with just using sterile water, so I'd say it's up to everyone to consider whether they would take a small risk of getting an infection to save a couple $

Storage Recommendations and Shelf Life of Bacteriostatic Water​

Bacteriostatic water contains benzyl alcohol, which acts as a preservative, allowing the solution to be used multiple times by inhibiting bacterial growth. Proper storage and handling are essential to maintain its effectiveness and safety.

Why Store at Room Temperature?

Storing bacteriostatic water at room temperature (20-25°C or 68-77°F) is optimal for several reasons:

1. Preservative Stability: Benzyl alcohol is most stable and effective at room temperature. Refrigeration can cause precipitation or reduce its bacteriostatic properties.
  2. Avoiding Condensation: Refrigerating and removing the vial from cold storage can lead to condensation, increasing the risk of contamination.
  3. Maintaining Chemical Stability: Temperature fluctuations, such as those from refrigeration, may degrade the solution over time.

28-Day Recommendation After First Use

It is recommended to discard bacteriostatic water 28 days after opening, even though it’s designed for multiple uses. This is a safety precaution due to:

• User Handling Errors: Each time the vial is accessed, the risk of contamination increases, especially if sterile techniques aren’t strictly followed.
  • Practical Concerns: The 28-day limit ensures safety under typical conditions, where minor user errors might introduce bacteria.

Could It Last Longer with Proper Handling?

Theoretically, bacteriostatic water could have an unlimited shelf life after opening if perfect sterile techniques are followed consistently, including using new sterile needles and properly disinfecting the stopper before every use. Under ideal conditions, the benzyl alcohol would continue to inhibit bacterial growth indefinitely.

However, the 28-day rule exists because achieving absolute sterility is difficult in real-world settings, and small user errors could introduce contamination over time.

Conclusion​

While bacteriostatic water could last indefinitely with perfect handling, the 28-day guideline is a conservative safety measure due to the risk of contamination. Storing it at room temperature ensures stability, and while it may remain effective beyond 28 days under ideal conditions, the rule minimizes risks in typical use.

Why Store at Room Temperature?

Storing bacteriostatic water at room temperature (20-25°C or 68-77°F) is optimal for several reasons:

1. Preservative Stability: Benzyl alcohol is most stable and effective at room temperature. Refrigeration can cause precipitation or reduce its bacteriostatic properties.
  2. Avoiding Condensation: Refrigerating and removing the vial from cold storage can lead to condensation, increasing the risk of contamination.
  3. Maintaining Chemical Stability: Temperature fluctuations, such as those from refrigeration, may degrade the solution over time.
Interesting, so what about all our peptides that we refrigerate in bac water?:unsure:

Interesting, so what about all our peptides that we refrigerate in bac water?:unsure:
If you are talking about sterility and whether they could give you an infection, the same principles apply. They will however deteriorate faster after reconstituted, though the degree of deterioration is largely overestimated.

Semaglutide for example should still be close to 100% of the initial potency even 120days after reconstitution in the fridge (assuming it's sterile), the estimated potency loss is 1-2%. Around 5-10% after a year. The numbers would be more or less the same for tirz and reta. More sensitive peptides could see a 20-30% potency loss after 120 days.

The main reason for the 28 days is still unintended contamination and "better safe than sorry", contamination can also speed up degradation. So it's best to use vials that you will empty in roughly 4 weeks if you want to stay as safe as possible and retain the maximum potency.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ItzJay
Back