Syringe Filter

One important piece of advice, before doing an air purge, make sure the vial/cartridge you are filtering into has a vacuum. I created a vacuum in the vial I was using by removing air with an insilin syringe, pulling out 3ml of air. Trying to air purge without vaccum was how I lost .5ml of the 3ml filtered last time.
I was planning on piercing my cartridges with a second sterile needle while I injected the solution to give the air somewhere to escape. Your solution makes a lot of sense, though. Did you have any trouble drawing that much of a vacuum?

I was planning on piercing my cartridges with a second sterile needle while I injected the solution to give the air somewhere to escape. Your solution makes a lot of sense, though. Did you have any trouble drawing that much of a vacuum?
That is what I do. It releases the vacuum and equalizes the pressure while you fill it.

Last edited:
careful with the cartridges. the stopper can blow out if you try to fill one without giving the air somewhere to go.

No, no issue. Just pull the air out. I was using a vial this time though.

Just tried creating a vaccum in a cartridge and the stopper moved up to the top. Might not be able to create a vaccum, but if the stopper position is dependent on the volume it may still work.

I'll try doing an air purge into a cartridge later and report back.

Just tried creating a vaccum in a cartridge and the stopper moved up to the top.
That would really worry me. I don't have one in hand yet, but if the stopper moves forward, isn't the rear of the vial exposed to the atmosphere? That part's no longer going to be sterile, theoretically, and if you move the stopper backwards again then the non-sterile part becomes reconnected to the sterile inside.

Probably overthinking this, I see tons of people recommending buying cartridges from aliexpress which make no mention of being sterile in the first place and not reporting any problems.

Very good point @LEPacker. I'm actually embarrassed that didn't occur to me. And while it might be a slight risk, if nothing else I think it might defeat the purpose of filtering in the first place.

With that in mind, I'll stick with filtering into vials.

@fetefille, have you done any further tests on your Cobetter filters? You mentioned in your earlier post you thought there was a chance you did something wrong and your zero loss might be too good to be true.

I've now observed zero loss with the Cobetter filters after an air purge, but I'm also not 100% sure I did everything right. Just looking to compare notes.
I don’t think it’s zero, but dang near close. Still not satisfied though, lol. There’s no way for me to do it up right like Peptest, so my findings aren’t “real,” but for my satisfaction they work. I did notice a difference in the amount lost when I wet it vs when I didn’t. Wetting is important!

Last edited:
Back