How did you choose your goal weight?

After all this time this is my first thread to start. But because of a goal I reached today I wanted to ask you all this.

So how are you deciding on your goal weight?

For myself, I initially wanted to weigh less than 200 and be in “onderland.” Well that wasn’t enough. Then I wanted to get out of the obese category on the BMI chart. I wanted to have a 100-pound loss. Ok, so I’ve met all of these.

Well my most recent goal was to weigh less than my husband (he’s not overweight). Guess what?! I met that goal today.

So now I can’t decide on my final goal. I’m 16 pounds from my wedding weight 34 years ago. Sounds like my next goal.

But my final goal, is that it? Do you pick a number that sounds good or do you wait and see where your body naturally stops? Just curious on your thought process of deciding. TIA.
OMG. I was just typing the same question!

Fyi, before you decide on a weight-- consider DOSE. Ie, how soon will you max out on your GLP? For ex, in a perfect world, one would have a maintenance dose of up to 50%. RETA maxes out at 12mg dose. So, ideally 6mg or less would be an ideal maintenance dose. This way, in the future (years from now), if you need to increase the dose, you are still well below 12mg. However, if you are already at 10mg now- you will be maxed out as soon as 1 or 2 years perhaps. Otherwise, after that, you may be forced to switch to another GLP. Wouldn't it be nice to stay on your current GLP the rest of your life? (If it's working well for you.)

My weight goal is to TOUCH the Normal BMI weight range. I'm not trying to be in the middle-to-low range of it. Even if I touch it my 1 pound, psychologically I feel like I'm in the "normal" range of what my doctor recommends. If I don't meet this goal, it's ok!

Yesterday was the first time someone said: "Did you lose weight? You look nice." I've lost 50 lbs. Thus, losing 30 more lbs to reach the BMI goal may be too extreme, but I'm losing weight for personal reasons, not for other people's reactions. You've got this!

After all this time this is my first thread to start. But because of a goal I reached today I wanted to ask you all this.

For myself, I initially wanted to weigh less than 200 and be in “onderland.” Well that wasn’t enough. Then I wanted to get out of the obese category on the BMI chart. I wanted to have a 100-pound loss. Ok, so I’ve met all of these.

Well my most recent goal was to weigh less than my husband (he’s not overweight). Guess what?! I met that goal today.

So now I can’t decide on my final goal. I’m 16 pounds from my wedding weight 34 years ago. Sounds like my next goal.

But my final goal, is that it? Do you pick a number that sounds good or do you wait and see where your body naturally stops? Just curious on your thought process of deciding. TIA.
First of all CONGRATS! <3 :) Woohooo!Then: Here is what I do .... the recommended Body weight index for normal weight is between 18.5 and 25 % ...... I am going for 22.5 % which at 5'8" is 148 lbs. If anyone else has a nerdy side, likes to approach it with math and needs a link to calculate what you want to create: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
Curiosity: How is everyone dealing with the extra skin issue? Especially those of us over 50? Help please?

Last edited:
First of all CONGRATS! <3 :) Woohooo!Then: Here is what I do .... the recommended Body weight index for normal weight is between 18.5 and 25 % ...... I am going for 22.5 % which at 5'8" is 148 lbs. If anyone else has a nerdy side, likes to approach it with math and needs a link to calculate what you want to create: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
Curiosity: How is everyone dealing with the extra skin issue? Especially those of us over 50? Help please?
Thank you! Oh the skin. Badge of honor in my opinion. Is it pretty? No. But I’m proud of how far of come. BUT, I’ll never say never about a tummy tuck.😂😂

OMG. I was just typing the same question!

Fyi, before you decide on a weight-- consider DOSE. Ie, how soon will you max out on your GLP? For ex, in a perfect world, one would have a maintenance dose of up to 50%. RETA maxes out at 12mg dose. So, ideally 6mg or less would be an ideal maintenance dose. This way, in the future (years from now), if you need to increase the dose, you are still well below 12mg. However, if you are already at 10mg now- you will be maxed out as soon as 1 or 2 years perhaps. Otherwise, after that, you may be forced to switch to another GLP. Wouldn't it be nice to stay on your current GLP the rest of your life? (If it's working well for you.)

My weight goal is to TOUCH the Normal BMI weight range. I'm not trying to be in the middle-to-low range of it. Even if I touch it my 1 pound, psychologically I feel like I'm in the "normal" range of what my doctor recommends. If I don't meet this goal, it's ok!

Yesterday was the first time someone said: "Did you lose weight? You look nice." I've lost 50 lbs. Thus, losing 30 more lbs to reach the BMI goal may be too extreme, but I'm losing weight for personal reasons, not for other people's reactions. You've got this!
I agree, weight loss is for you, not someone else. I understand what you’re saying about maxing out on the peptide that’s working. I still have some room to increase my dose, but I also have been accumulating other weight loss peps to use for maintenance. I have no problem rotating them if needed. Obviously I’m not a maintenance just yet but I’m determined to keep the weight off with my stash.😜

Im a 51m, 5’11”, SW was 271 (my heaviest ever) on July 2nd, CW is 214 (3 months in) so 57lbs down. My original goal was/is 185lbs which would be 86lbs to lose which seemed insane to me. It’s been literal decades since i was even near that weight. And in reality i dont think i was that weight since about 18-20yrs old. But BMI says i should be 165-170lbs. I havent been that weight since i was like 15yrs old. So i dont think that would be healthy for me. I do think 185 is good. But if i get there and still aren’t where i need to be looks/feel wise ill adjust to 175. Don't think i can go lower than that without looking sickly. I feel 1000% better at 214 than i was at 271 and havent been this slim since 12 years ago and that only lasted a month or two before putting the weight back on. So I’m giving myself more leeway and grace going forward. My goal was to go from 271 on July 2nd to 185 by years end. And it may still happen, but i feel so much better and am going in the right direction, and since cost isnt an issue anymore with buying kits, I’m not going to be too hard on myself if it doesn’t happen by years end. I know ill be sub 200 at the very least by then and that in itself is huge! Im also in the process of buying a house in another state and then having to pack all my shit and move and get settled into a new life is stressful enough and know things aren’t going to go as smoothly the next couple months. So I’m giving myself some room to mess up and to slow the weight loss some until i get moved which will probably be around years end. Then i can buckle down again and go the rest of the way. But i hope everyone here gets to where they are happy and healthy. Good luck all!
Congrats on your success so far! As well as your upcoming move. You’ll figure it out as you lose. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Goal 1: 199 COMPLETE
Goal 2: Weigh what my drivers license says I weigh (18lbs to go)
Goal 3: optimum health and fitness goals only. After I reach my DL Weight I'll switch to goals like improved speeds/distance/stamina, new PR with weights, doing a handstand in my yoga class, etc.

Goal 1: 199 COMPLETE
Goal 2: Weigh what my drivers license says I weigh (18lbs to go)
Goal 3: optimum health and fitness goals only. After I reach my DL Weight I'll switch to goals like improved speeds/distance/stamina, new PR with weights, doing a handstand in my yoga class, etc.
I’m so glad my drivers license doesn’t have the weight on it. Congrats on your progress to date!

I’m not really sure what weight I want to be. 15 years ago, I ate relatively clean and worked out regularly. I had a body fat percentage of 25 and wore a size 4-6 pants. My trainer and I focused on body fat instead of weight, so I’m not really sure what my weight was. I vaguely remember 135-ish but still had a bit of chunk. In my 20s, I was 115-120. I’m 5’3”.

I bought a scale that includes body fat and when it arrives, I expect it to say something around 36%. I’m currently 168 and a very tight, stuffed sausage size 10 in stretchy pants.

I go up a pound a day or so after a heavy lifting session, so I’m cognizant that lifting is going to make my weight fluctuate. The scale number can easily cause me anxiety. So I’d prefer to focus more on inches.

I still have some size 6 pants. That’s my goal.

Hi and I think it’s a similar trajectory

Hi! Great question. I think it’s a very similar trajectory for most of us over time. I followed your same thought process. With the attainment of each goal comes a new goal. Once we finally reach a normal weight, which is highly subjective in and of itself, we continue to have new goals such as body fat percentage, muscle mass, etc. This is a unique journey for each of us. Congrats on your success!!! You are rocking this!

Hi and I think it’s a similar trajectory

Hi! Great question. I think it’s a very similar trajectory for most of us over time. I followed your same thought process. With the attainment of goal comes a new goal. Once we finally reach a normal weight, which is highly subjective in and of itself, we continue to have new goals such as body fat percentage, muscle mass, etc. This is a unique journey for each of us. Congrats on your success!!! You are rocking this!

I wanted to get back to my set weight (before my health issues) which was 127, so about 22 pounds to lose. And then once I hit that I decided the goal was 122 (about the skinniest I'd ever been as an adult). And then I hit that and was surprised at how much stomach fat was still left (all of my fat is on my torso). So I started working again toward about 118. I've been in maintenance / tapering down since April but am slowly continuing to lose weight - I'm down to about 114-115 right now. I don't intend to lose any more. I actually touched 111.8 in late September when I had a cold and wasn't eating much. I was shocked.

My stomach is still my problem area but annoyingly you can now start to see my sternum bones a little bit. So I'm definitely VERY skinny in some areas and still not skinny enough in others. I am surprised that my body still looks a lot like it used to, but just smaller. I do weight training and I've added ballet in twice per week, but I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable in a two piece swimsuit, which is frustrating. I feel like I'd have to be 100 pounds before my stomach fat truly disappeared - and I would look skeletal everywhere else.

I am less concerned about the scale now and more about recomposition.

I wanted to get back to my set weight (before my health issues) which was 127, so about 22 pounds to lose. And then once I hit that I decided the goal was 122 (about the skinniest I'd ever been as an adult). And then I hit that and was surprised at how much stomach fat was still left (all of my fat is on my torso). So I started working again toward about 118. I've been in maintenance / tapering down since April but am slowly continuing to lose weight - I'm down to about 114-115 right now. I don't intend to lose any more. I actually touched 111.8 in late September when I had a cold and wasn't eating much. I was shocked.

My stomach is still my problem area but annoyingly you can now start to see my sternum bones a little bit. So I'm definitely VERY skinny in some areas and still not skinny enough in others. I am surprised that my body still looks a lot like it used to, but just smaller. I do weight training and I've added ballet in twice per week, but I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable in a two piece swimsuit, which is frustrating. I feel like I'd have to be 100 pounds before my stomach fat truly disappeared - and I would look skeletal everywhere else.

I am less concerned about the scale now and more about recomposition.
Wow! Congratulations on your success! I totally understand the stomach problem area. It’s mine too plus the loose skin. Spanx is my friend.😜

I do small goals, hit that one then make new ones. I was getting too discouraged looking at such a long distance so I shortened it up. I really have no idea what my final goal will be, somewhere between 140-180, a broad range I know. I have been comparing losses to everyday items. Lose a small bag of dog food, lose a 4yr old grandson's weight- I can not image carrying him around all day at Disney but I was technically and so much more. I lift him up and just have a hard time fathoming the weight gone from my body and how much lighter I feel. My next goal is a large bag of chicken feed (50lb), then a bale of hay (75lb). Maybe a silly way of doing it but the concreteness of seeing the amount gone for good really motivates me.
I find this so effective too! I look at our 40lb bag of litter and I think geesh, I was literally carrying One and half of those bags around, all day, every day. It hits different, ya know?
I like the small goals too!

Last edited:
My goal weight is about 140-150lbs. I started at 250, currently at 242 since I'm hardly a month in (I know I'm an infant). I chose this goal because like...I have pics of myself from when I was in that weight range and I loved how I looked. I also cater to the "big boobs, big ass, small waist" area of OF (no judgements please) so I wanna keep maintaining that. Luckily for me I have a natural hourglass shape. I'm just trying to feel more comfortable in my skin. Right now with how everything is going, I'm big chillin.

My goal weight is about 140-150lbs. I started at 250, currently at 242 since I'm hardly a month in (I know I'm an infant). I chose this goal because like...I have pics of myself from when I was in that weight range and I loved how I looked. I also cater to the "big boobs, big ass, small waist" area of OF (no judgements please) so I wanna keep maintaining that. Luckily for me I have a natural hourglass shape. I'm just trying to feel more comfortable in my skin. Right now with how everything is going, I'm big chillin.
Welcome! You’ve got this.

Thank you!! I'm pretty hype about it. Family is giving me grief about tirz but like...idk man not seeing the harm in it. Its working. I feel better. I have more energy.
Don’t let them give you grief. If we don’t advocate for our own health, who will?
You can’t help anyone with anything, especially your family, if you, yourself, are not healthy. People have forgotten this, I feel like….
I had the same thing at first, but I figured out slowly that people are just misinformed about SO much of this and they don’t really understand how it all works, so they immediately think, not healthy! The people that do not struggle with this will never understand, and that is okay!
I am the healthiest I have been in yeaaars & that is not even touching the mental health aspect of it, which is huge! You got this, you do you!! 😊

Don’t let them give you grief. If we don’t advocate for our own health, who will?
You can’t help anyone with anything, especially your family, if you, yourself, are not healthy. People have forgotten this, I feel like….
I had the same thing at first, but I figured out slowly that people are just misinformed about SO much of this and they don’t really understand how it all works, so they immediately think, not healthy! The people that do not struggle with this will never understand, and that is okay!
I am the healthiest I have been in yeaaars & that is not even touching the mental health aspect of it, which is huge! You got this, you do you!! 😊
Thank you so much. I'm very lucky to have found this forum. I also got lucky because my partner has been very supportive in this as well. My family, though they mean well, are just very uninformed and don't see anything wrong with me or my weight. Cute sentiment and all but I live in Philly. Gotta make sure I'm fit to go up and down all these damn stairs and gotta be ready to fight a random on the streets at any point lol

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I'm very lucky to have found this forum. I also got lucky because my partner has been very supportive in this as well. My family, though they mean well, are just very uninformed and don't see anything wrong with me or my weight. Cute sentiment and all but I like in Philly. Gotta make sure I'm fit to go up and down all these damn stairs and gotta be ready to fight a random on the streets at any point lol
I know, it is a conundrum isn’t? My husband always says he loves me just the way I am and my family too.
I never had too much problems with weight until after my dad passed seven years ago and I put on so much weight, so fast, it was confusing! I wasn’t eating much, and nothing, I mean nothing worked to get it off. And omg everything was just so hard! I hit a breaking point, and I begged my doctor for anything. So started on Brand Saxenda and then eventually made my way here. I know now, that I absolutely had a metabolic disorder or something like that going on, because at first the weight just fell off and a lot of my GI issues disappeared! I have been plateaued for a long time, but I don’t care, I am SO much happier, I have energy, I am not sad all the time, confused, etc etc. It is all worth it, to be pretty close to being back to being me, the me that I know, no matter how much my peeps love me, just the way I am. (and dammit, I am lucky, they do really love me) 🥹

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PinkAttitude80
Back