How Do I Start Weight Training? Explain it to Me Like I'm Five.

dogmom

New_Member
Reaction score
Title is self explanatory. I'd like to start weight training. And for background, I'm late 40s woman, perimenopause, mid 150lbs, sedentary, have rheumatoid arthritis which affects my hand grip, joints and mobility sometimes.

Should I just buy dumbbells and start? Do you think I need a real life personal trainer to tell me the basics? Do you think I need a gym?

Are there any good youtube videos to watch or online guides of exercises to do?

Body weight rubber bands and YouTube is a great start as oyster pointed out.

Yoga/pilates are also great forms of exercise.

Personally I’m all for hitting the gym, doing compound moves and moving as much weight as possible 😂

But in reality, the best form of exercise is one you enjoy and one that is sustainable for you over time. Dip your toe, test things out and figure out what suits you

Last edited:
That's a bit misleading. Weight training is very safe for beginners specifically because you're not strong enough to lift anything heavy enough to hurt yourself yet.

Some resistance bands and a set of small dumbbells are good to start with. like 3, 4, 5, and 10lbs. You can do higher reps with low weights to work on the movement patterns until you get more comfortable.

If you want to join a gym a lot have those circuit training areas with machines. If you have no idea what to do at all you can just do a round with the machine circuits. Like 3 sets of 12 for full body every other day or twice a week. You don't need to spend much time, even 20-30 min sessions are better than nothing.

There are also good apps for training for beginners. You can get the fitbod app and put it on total beginner and even set it to all body weight. RP strength also has an app you can use.

That's a bit misleading. Weight training is very safe for beginners specifically because you're not strong enough to lift anything heavy enough to hurt yourself yet.

Some resistance bands and a set of small dumbbells are good to start with. like 3, 4, 5, and 10lbs. You can do higher reps with low weights to work on the movement patterns until you get more comfortable.

If you want to join a gym a lot have those circuit training areas with machines. If you have no idea what to do at all you can just do a round with the machine circuits. Like 3 sets of 12 for full body every other day or twice a week. You don't need to spend much time, even 20-30 min sessions are better than nothing.

There are also good apps for training for beginners. You can get the fitbod app and put it on total beginner and even set it to all body weight. RP strength also has an app you can use.
Well, I have seen quite a few youtube videos challenging that statement 😁

But I do agree that weight training is rather safe as long as you don’t start doing a bunch of absurd exercises and ego lift

I would suggest at first going to a cheaper gym that has someone to show you how all the stuff works. Some of those places like Planet Fitness are really cheap so if you don't use it all that much you still get the benefit of occasional weight training without the "I paid so much for this so now I have to use it" mentality. You may be like me and just find that you hate gyms, but love being outside. A pair of running shoes and bodyweight exercises are a hell of a lot cheaper than a gym. Eventually you'll find that you enjoy some kind of exercise but have to find out which one.

But like Bacchus said, the best form of exercise is one you enjoy. For years I just ran and didn't do anything else because that's what I loved. As time has gone on I just kinda feel like lifting weights more so I am doing that. Now i run and lift weights so I have a treadmill and a whole gym in my basement! I just do whatever I feel like, but I make myself get started doing something. Any consistent exercise is good and will help maintain functionality and muscle if you get plenty of protein and train smart. And training smart comes with learning, and the learning comes with enjoying the exercise and engaging in it, watching youtube videos, stuff like that.

Mark Rippetoe's starting strength DVD is a good systematic way of learning the main movements. He also has some videos on youtube, but the DVD is more detailed and has a variety of volunteers that he uses for demonstration. You can get the actual DVD or find it on the internet.

machines always get shit on from the strength training community but i think they're excellent in the beginning, especially if your other options are free weights (your form is going to be garbage guaranteed) or resistance training (great workout but man is it miserable).

machines = less likely to hurt yourself and easier to practice your form before you go into bigger and better things down the road. don't let the purists bully you into free weights right out of the gate.

Well, I have seen quite a few youtube videos challenging that statement 😁

But I do agree that weight training is rather safe as long as you don’t start doing a bunch of absurd exercises and ego lift
off topic but i used to watch this show called "The Magicians" and there was a character named Bacchus (God of Revelry) who was quite the character and every time I read a comment of yours I'm picturing this guy talking.

if you're interested in the gym/personal trainer route, i'd recommend looking into strength-based group fitness classes. they can be a fun way to get started, help build your confidence, and likely show you things you can do at home. if you find a class you like, you're more likely to continue going consistently. you're also more likely to meet a friend or accountability buddy if that's something you're into.

off topic but i used to watch this show called "The Magicians" and there was a character named Bacchus (God of Revelry) who was quite the character and every time I read a comment of yours I'm picturing this guy talking.
This is funny because there is someone on here whose icon is these these two old man hecklers from the Muppet Show. Every time they post I hear it in the voice of those old men muppet characters. I can't stop it and smile that the puppets are discussing grey market peptides

Title is self explanatory. I'd like to start weight training. And for background, I'm late 40s woman, perimenopause, mid 150lbs, sedentary, have rheumatoid arthritis which affects my hand grip, joints and mobility sometimes.

Should I just buy dumbbells and start? Do you think I need a real life personal trainer to tell me the basics? Do you think I need a gym?

Once you do come up with a workout routine (And ChatGPT is great at even giving you basic ideas), you can see clips of people doing the exercises here: https://musclewiki.com/

I've been using this for 8+ years now.

If you want more guidance/motivation without having to go to the gym, there's two options I'd recommend:

1) Caroline Girvan - her videos are free on youtube. She doesn't really show you how to do the move, so perhaps try her when you're a little more confident your form is correct

2) Peloton strength. I love their strength content. The app is a bit expensive. There are two instructors that really focus on making sure your form is correct - Andy Speer and Ben Alldis. Andy has an introductory strength program that is really wonderful and is a pretty easy transition into weight training.

Obviously you've gotten other suggestions above which don't require a monthly subscription, but just wanted to give you another option :)

If you want more guidance/motivation without having to go to the gym, there's two options I'd recommend:

1) Caroline Girvan - her videos are free on youtube. She doesn't really show you how to do the move, so perhaps try her when you're a little more confident your form is correct

2) Peloton strength. I love their strength content. The app is a bit expensive. There are two instructors that really focus on making sure your form is correct - Andy Speer and Ben Alldis. Andy has an introductory strength program that is really wonderful and is a pretty easy transition into weight training.

Obviously you've gotten other suggestions above which don't require a monthly subscription, but just wanted to give you another option :)
Yes! I am in a petite fitness discord group and several of the ladies are devotees of Caroline. I personally was going to recommend peloton! They offer TONS of programming including beginner programs that last several weeks and ramp you up slowly. You can cast the app to your smart TV. It’s funny, I was going to say the app is cheap! Not expensive. But I use it to replace a gym entirely. They also have yoga, meditation, walking, running, dance cardio, etc. I use the app every single day - I swear by their sleep meditations.

Back