Syringe Filter

Have you noticed any? My stuff gets delivered today, but I still have another 7 weeks of compound.

So I finally got around to trying out my Co better .65/.22 um filters. I filtered 3 milliliters of bacteriostatic water and lost a total of .5 milliliters. However this loss is likely on the high side due to my inexperience. Next time I’ll have to make sure that the container I filter into has a vacuum. A small amount of liquid was lost because the pressure difference between the syringe and the vial led to that liquid shooting back into the syringe at the last second and then out the syringe.

I think with a better technique next time I could probably cut this down to around .3 or .4 milliliters.

I also tested out my HUMAPEN Lily ergo II pen. This was the cheapest pen you can find off of aliexpress that comes with a case. $15 at the link below and that includes free shipping.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806314136649.html

The pen is compatible with standard insulin cartridges and pen needles. It seems simple enough to use and has the same setup as the pens sold on pep pens or other resellers. It’s not spring loaded and has a dial that can deliver up to 60 units. Definitely a much better deal than buying a similar pen off of one of the resellers.

So I finally got around to trying out my Co better .65/.22 um filters. I filtered 3 milliliters of bacteriostatic water and lost a total of .5 milliliters. However this loss is likely on the high side due to my inexperience. Next time I’ll have to make sure that the container I filter into has a vacuum. A small amount of liquid was lost because the pressure difference between the syringe and the vial led to that liquid shooting back into the syringe at the last second and then out the syringe.

I think with a better technique next time I could probably cut this down to around .3 or .4 milliliters.

I also tested out my HUMAPEN Lily ergo II pen. This was the cheapest pen you can find off of aliexpress that comes with a case. $15 at the link below and that includes free shipping.

The pen is compatible with standard insulin cartridges and pen needles. It seems simple enough to use and has the same setup as the pens sold on pep pens or other resellers. It’s not spring loaded and has a dial that can deliver up to 60 units. Definitely a much better deal than buying a similar pen off of one of the resellers.
4mm filters steal 7 units and will work for filtering up to 4ml.

13mm filters steal 28 units and are good for up to 8ml - I think it is.

I don't see any reason to use a filter larger than 13mm.

You can also pre-wet the filter with bac, and air purge after filtering to help reclaim a bit of what they steal/absorb. Just don't blast anything through with high pressure as it can rupture the filter. Slow and steady. If it fails, start over with a new filter and don't press so hard, lol

PeptideTest has some YT videos about this.

Last edited:

Glad to hear that the Ergo 2 seems to be working out. I have one coming in in the next week or so.

Yes, I've posted links to those videos on yt and seen his numbers. However I've become a bit skeptical of some of it the more I dig.

First his numbers for loss should be proportional to the surface area of the filter, but his numbers are proportional to the diameters. This makes no sense physically. I asked him about this on peppys but he never replied. There are also differences between brands for retention volume, and he doesn't mention that.

Also fetefille posted lower loss numbers earlier in this thread, but for the single filters from Cobetter. I would expect higher losses from the doubles I'm using but neither match the numbers peptidetest posted.

Also, I saw peptide test write on one of the boards (dont remember which) that he's discourages using the "cheap" Cobetter filters. Which is fine, but he is the only person I've seen say these are "cheap", literally every other thing ive read said thse are high quality. And I DUG before I bought these.

Between that and him advocating for using 4mm, he is effectively advocating for using a type of filter that is nearly impossible to find. It just so happens he is the only place that sells them without buying 100+. One of the mods on peppys called him out for this a couple days ago.

Even if we ignore this conflict of interest I generally get the sense peptide test is kind of learning on the go with filters. That's fine, and the info is still helpful. I just don't take what he says as the final authority on this matter.

Last edited:
Yes, I've posted links to those videos on yt and seen his numbers. However I've become a bit skeptical of some of it the more I dig.

First his numbers for loss should be proptioal to the surface area of the filter, but his numbers are proportional to the diameters. This makes no sense physically. I asked him about this on peppys but he never replied. There are also differences between brands for retention volume, and he doesn't mention that.

Also fetefille posted lower loss numbers earlier in this thread, but for the single filters from Cobetter. I would expect higher losses from the doubles I'm using but neither match the numbers peptidetest posted.

Also, I saw peptide test write on one of the boards (dont remember which) that he's discourages using the "cheap" Cobetter filters. Which is fine, but he is the only person I've seen say these are "cheap", literally every other thing ive read said thse are high quality. And I DUG before I bought these.

Between that and him advocating for using 4mm, he is effectively advocating for using a type of filter that is nearly impossible to find. It just so happens he is the only place that sells them without buying 100+. One of the mods on peppys called him out for this a couple days ago.

Even if we ignore this conflict of interest I generally get the sense peptide test is kind of learning on the go with filters. That's fine, and the info is still helpful. I just don't take what he says as the final authority on this matter.
I had the same feeling about him.. learning on video for someone who runs a testing lab is a bit sketchy. He claims they tested the volume loss though and said they will post that vid soon. I'm sure it varies across filters. I've not seen anything else to go on though.

I'll be testing the 4mm soon. Seems like the best option for my needs.

I've had a hard time finding filters at all. Cobetter are 2 weeks out on my Amazon order. And like you said, direct from factory require buying 100-200 at a time.

I just don't like buying stuff like this on Amazon, lol All the med supply places I checked just have the non sterile filters in a bucket, not the ind sealed ones.

Options are limited

Part of me really wants to trust the guy implicitly since we NEED more options for testing, but in the peptide space that would be foolish. Jano is good and all but its not great that we all rely on 1 lab in the Czech rebublic for everything.

For this filtering buisness I think the best thing we can do is continue to experiment, compare notes and numbers and help each other dial in the technique.

Part of me really wants to trust the guy implicitly since we NEED more options for testing, but in the peptide space that would be foolish. Jano is good and all but its not great that we all rely on 1 lab in the Czech rebublic for everything.

For this filtering buisness I think the best thing we can do is continue to experiment, compare notes and numbers and help each other dial in the technique.
Is Jano generally regarded higher that PeptideTest for testing? I was thinking about using PT for my L60.

Is Jano generally regarded higher that PeptideTest for testing? I was thinking about using PT for my L60.
I've only recently entered the testing space, and am not the best authority on this, but generally yes Jano is considered the GOLD STANDARD from what I've read.

As previously stated, peptide test seems to be learning as he goes. Multiple people have made similar observations, but that doesn't mean you should automatically go with jano. Some people actually made a point of using peptidetest in part to help him get more experience and exposure so we have more options.

Jano is good for fill & purity and considered the gold standard in the community. Some vendors will only reship/refund based on their tests. But there are other options that I believe are just as good... MZ biolabs in Arizona, and I forget the other atm.. my brain is done for the day, almost 1am here, lol

PeptideTest was involved with some sterility testing for the SPC fiasco and "seems" to offer a better sterility test... But after seeing those videos and the highly generic, low level website and ordering process they use, I kind of question it. Maybe they just cheaped out on the website but it's not a good look for what's supposedly "better". I dunno, like @Chizikitide-1977 said, we don't really have a lot of options... It's expensive and the testing for sterility is pretty new. Standards need to be developed, bacteria identified, and safe level limits need to be set by the community. I think everyone is waiting on peppys to come out with this info.

In the meantime, I'll do what I can and use what's available to mitigate the best I can. But there's still a long ways to go to determine what the risks are, what's the best way to test, best way to mitigate bacteria, etc. Its a bit of a mess.

4mm filters steal 7 units and will work for filtering up to 4ml.

13mm filters steal 28 units and are good for up to 8ml - I think it is.

I don't see any reason to use a filter larger than 13mm.

You can also pre-wet the filter with bac, and air purge after filtering to help reclaim a bit of what they steal/absorb. Just don't blast anything through with high pressure as it can rupture the filter. Slow and steady. If it fails, start over with a new filter and don't press so hard, lol

He only used one type of filter in his study, a good kind, his preferred kind, but only one type, Tisch. He considers Cobetter generic, maybe all lab folks who use syringe filters do. The amount lost changes with the brand, not at an appreciable level to me, ymmv.

Last edited:
I had the same feeling about him.. learning on video for someone who runs a testing lab is a bit sketchy. He claims they tested the volume loss though and said they will post that vid soon. I'm sure it varies across filters. I've not seen anything else to go on though.

I'll be testing the 4mm soon. Seems like the best option for my needs.

I've had a hard time finding filters at all. Cobetter are 2 weeks out on my Amazon order. And like you said, direct from factory require buying 100-200 at a time.

I just don't like buying stuff like this on Amazon, lol All the med supply places I checked just have the non sterile filters in a bucket, not the ind sealed ones.

Options are limited
All you can really do is take my word for it, but I'm on his discord channel, which was originally created when we were trying to figure out the logistics of the original Amopure group test we did. The filtering thing came up organically because of discussions other people were having. It wasn't something he just started promoting out of nowhere. He also wasn't selling them at first either, and when he did put some up on his site, it wasn't many. I think he was more trying to make them accessible to some of us who were having trouble finding them. It also doesn't make any sense that he would advocate for one filter and sell only that filter, go through the trouble of making videos for that one filter when he'd make more money selling both imo. Its not like he's selling truckloads of filters. He seems like someone who is just trying to be a resource to the community while taking the opportunity to grow his business.

Where is a good place to buy filters? I tried searching meso because I know bodybuilders use them for a lot of their stuff but couldn't find anywhere. I've tried to buy from some legit lab sites but I've had my orders rejected because they only sell to businesses or scientific labs. I'm leery of Amazon and Aliexpress even if it says "sterile", although I know people use them.

Okay, quick update on my 2nd practice round. Still using the .65/.22 13mm Cobetter double filters.

Took my time and was super careful this round. Also tried an air purge. Filtered 1 ml of bac water. After the air purge, losses were neglectable. 2 units lost out of 100 filtered. Just to make sure I didn't damage the filter after the air purge I filtered a bit more water and there was no difference in the amount of resistance. So I don't think I damaged the filter with the air purge.

I'll continue to experiment and report back (and others please do the same), but based on this, it seems losses for the 13mm filters might be a bit overstated. At least for the Cobetter filters.

One important piece of advice, before doing an air purge, make sure the vial/cartridge you are filtering into has a vacuum. I created a vacuum in the vial I was using by removing air with an insilin syringe, pulling out 3ml of air. Trying to air purge without vaccum was how I lost .5ml of the 3ml filtered last time.

I bought straight from Tisch with no issues. I have 200 of them but that should last a long time.

I bought from Peptide Test as I was buying Bac water and wanted everything together. They are a bit pricey though with shipping. Should have ordered more Bac water and filters to get the free shipping.

Where is a good place to buy filters? I tried searching meso because I know bodybuilders use them for a lot of their stuff but couldn't find anywhere. I've tried to buy from some legit lab sites but I've had my orders rejected because they only sell to businesses or scientific labs. I'm leery of Amazon and Aliexpress even if it says "sterile", although I know people use them.
The person who runs Peptide Test sells and recommends Tisch. I purchased mine from Cobetter and I really like them. Most will recommend 4mm, mine are 13mm. You will lose less product the smaller they are, but each brand holds back a different amount/volume, some more, some less, for the same sizes.

@fetefille, have you done any further tests on your Cobetter filters? You mentioned in your earlier post you thought there was a chance you did something wrong and your zero loss might be too good to be true.

I've now observed zero loss with the Cobetter filters after an air purge, but I'm also not 100% sure I did everything right. Just looking to compare notes.

Back